PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

SDLT Shared Ownership Query

Options
I am hoping someone might be able to help me with the following query;

In 2006 myself and my Sister bought a 70% share in a property and opted not to pay stamp duty at the time of purchase- 70% £164,500, total vale £235,000

I am now in the process of buying my sisters half of the 70% for £111,000

I would like to know what liability of stamp duty there is from the initial 70% share purchase and any added liability there might be from buying my sisters equity

Current market value of the property is £486,000

I would like to pay any current outstanding SDLT during this transaction with my sister

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am hoping someone might be able to help me with the following query;

In 2006 myself and my Sister bought a 70% share in a property and opted not to pay stamp duty at the time of purchase- 70% £164,500, total vale £235,000

I am now in the process of buying my sisters half of the 70% for £111,000

I would like to know what liability of stamp duty there is from the initial 70% share purchase and any added liability there might be from buying my sisters equity

Current market value of the property is £486,000

I would like to pay any current outstanding SDLT during this transaction with my sister

Any help would be much appreciated!
    You don't 'opt-out' of tax....
  • BobbyRobert
    Options
    Perhaps 'deferred' the payment of SDLT at the time of purchase is a more accurate account
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps 'deferred' the payment of SDLT at the time of purchase is a more accurate account

So you haven't paid it for 13 years? I just wonder how much interest has been accrued in that time?
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In 2006 SDLT on a price of £164,500 would have been at a flat 1%, that is £1,645.

I wonder if what you mean is that you elected to pay only £1,645 rather than electing to pay SDLT "in one go" to cover future staircasing? That election would have meant paying SDLT on £235,000. That would still have been in the 1% band, so would have meant SDLT of £2,350 in 2006.

If you have no other property interests so that standard rates of SDLT apply on the acquisition from your sister, then there is no SDLT on £111,000, though a land transaction return is needed.

If you staircase to over 80% then there is further SDLT. Because your lease was granted before 12 March 2008 you may well need to pay extra SDLT on the 2006 acquisition as well as on the staircasing transaction. The HMRC guidance on this is not very clear, but can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sdlt-shared-ownership-property
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure