PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Building regs drawings for internal garage conversion - reasonable costs for London?

I'm arranging structural calculations and building regs drawings for an internal garage conversion (including knocking through an internal structural wall to provide an open plan area). I've contacted several structural engineers and I'm getting drastically different estimates. The lowest is £590, the highest is £2,500 (all prices ex-VAT). What's a reasonable price for this kind of work? It's for a terraced house in outer London - the ground floor (including the space currently used by the garage) that'll be covered by the plans is 35m2.

I've had 4 estimates so far, here are the breakdowns I've been given:

£200 site visit +
£110 per beam/column calculation +
£70/hr drawing (4 hours expected)
£590 OVERALL

£1,500 OVERALL (no breakdown, but includes site visit, calculations and building regs drawings)

£300 initial inspection +
£450 the calculations and drawings for building regs
£750 OVERALL

£500 2 hour site visit (£250/hr)
£2,000 calculations & drawings
£2,500 OVERALL

What are people's experiences of prices for this kind of work in London?

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Do you have a builder?

Whilst the structural calcs are important for building regs, doing full drawings for a good builder is teaching granny to suck eggs.

It would form part of the contract if you don't know who you are employing, so helpful in that respect if you wnd up in court, but full drawings are likely to end up decorating the floor of the van after being looked at once. :o

We bring our SE from Bromsgrove to London and he's around your cheapest quote, if that, if we can tie him up while he's on another job.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • jwl83
    jwl83 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thanks Doozergirl.

We haven't decided on a builder yet. We originally asked for estimates to renovate across the house, but what we got back proposed quite different approaches and were way over our budget (quotes were from £55k to £105k!). We decided to scale-back the scope of our work, to focus on the ground floor. We thought getting building regs drawings done would be a good way to keep the builders on the same page and get like-for-like quotes.

To give an idea of the scale of the work: Many of the internal walls are being removed (with steel to replace load bearing), french windows to back garden, new window and front door. I've drawn up a floor plan but I can't include it here due to forum rules.

Is this kind of work feasible on a building notice? Does anyone suggest good ways to review the prospective builders approaches without going for building regs drawings?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure