Half of my monthly salary was paid to HMRC

Options
Hi

I received my payslip yesterday and half of my monthly salary has been paid to HMRC, would this error have been made by payroll or by HMRC? I am getting mixed messages from both sides at the moment and I don't have enough money to pay all my bills, need to get this sorted asap

Thanks
Nat
DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Why no details of what was on the pay slip?

you need all the numbers repalting to pay starting with the tax code.
    previous payslip numbers may be needed as well.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is this a new job you have recently started hence the mistake ?
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Assuming this was your pay for "month 2" of the tax year (pay day in period 6 May to 5 June) it would be helpful to have the details from the month 1 payslip as well.

Have you changed employer in the current tax year?

If your employer has used the correct tax code i.e. one supplied by HMRC, then it is likely to be your next payday before any adjustment can be made. And that is assuming a change to the tax code is actually required.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Also, do you have other employment?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can we assume you have a tax code with a K on the end? If so, you should have been notified as to why that is. What did the notification say & was it correct?
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can set up an online personal tax account (click here)

That will show your tax code and what has been deducted. You should then be able to work out why and failing that, able to contact live chat to query this.

Unless this is a clerical error, typically an employer will just pay the tax your tax code dictates. I had a month where I shelled out half my monthly salary on tax a few months ago; upon checking my online account it appeared I was still registered as using my old company car!
    Know what you don't
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I have Marriage Tax Allowance C137M is my Tax code, this is month 2 of a new job. Last months pay was fine, spoken to HMRC and they recognise that i have overpaid around £1100 tax and they said this should be returned next month.

From what i gather (via HMRC) this was an error made by the payroll company (outsourced) but the error wasn't checked by finance internally they just assumed it was regarding the tax code - which wasn't familiar to them and just let half my pay go in my bank account -lucky I picked it up.

They are trying to find out what went wrong with Payroll now - what a mess.

Nat
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Tax code C137M is perfectly possible but C1375M (or anything in the range C1371M to C1379M) is much more likely.

What is the tax code you have received from HMRC?

If C137M can you give us the breakdown of how that was calculated?

What tax code is on your payslip?
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    natlie wrote: »
    Hi

I received my payslip yesterday and half of my monthly salary has been paid to HMRC, would this error have been made by payroll or by HMRC? I am getting mixed messages from both sides at the moment and I don't have enough money to pay all my bills, need to get this sorted asap

Thanks
    Nat

I would ask Payroll for an advance on your next month's salary which can be paid back when your tax refund arrives.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    If it's a payroll mistake it should(?) be corrected in month three. If it's causing cash flow problems I'd ask your employer for an advance on next month's salary to tide you over. If you've ended up overdrawn or missed direct debits as a result, I believe you can also claim the costs of these. (If you have missed any DDs etc, contact the payee to let them know why, otherwise you might be in breach of contract).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure