Repaying my (old) life away!!

edited 4 June 2019 at 12:20PM in Debt Free Diaries
35 replies 2.4K views

Replies

• CreditCardJunkieCreditCardJunkie Forumite
    522 Posts
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hi princesspennies! Huge congratulations on the refund that's amazing!! Must be a huge relief!

I'm very strict with our shopping budget...I do weekly online shops for click and collect as it's free and DH passes on his way home from work anyway. There's only two of us at the moment but I buy the bigger packs of meat and split them, freezing when required. To be honest we don't waste much food which I think is key. I find where we tend to go wrong is when we run out of food, we come home hungry and buy takeaway instead of doing a top up shop so I try to do the click and collect order a few days in advance.

I'm quite a picky eater, so often struggle with ideas, I made a big list of meals I like and pick from that when doing the shopping.

Cheering you on along your journey!
    Debt Free as of December 2020 👏
  • princesspenniesprincesspennies Forumite
    55 Posts
    First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    teafor2 wrote: »
    Those seem really good pots to start with PP :) I'm sure after a few weeks when you see money building up in them you'll be hooked :D

I give myself weekly spends as well and anything left over gets divided between the pots or carried forward if I fancy a bit of extra money in my purse.

I'm sure your boys would absolutely love the fun of a caravan holiday, although I am definitely biased about how good they are :rotfl:

It's great to read you get on well with your son's dad and if you can help him with his budget I'd say that's a win win for everybody. :) xx

Hi T2T, I am deffo taking inspiration from you and your pots :beer: Once I get going i might start trying to save for days out/Uniforms/haircuts etc but going to start slowly! :)

Yes we do love a caravan holiday, we usually do Haven once a year but are trying somewhere new this time, it's on a beautiful lake with water sports etc and even has a Jacuzzi on the deck so will be a nice treat for all of us :):j:j

He's paid on the 14th and is keen to sit down and have a look at making a budget so will be great if he can stick to one also ! :j
    55 Posts
    Hi princesspennies! Huge congratulations on the refund that's amazing!! Must be a huge relief!

I'm very strict with our shopping budget...I do weekly online shops for click and collect as it's free and DH passes on his way home from work anyway. There's only two of us at the moment but I buy the bigger packs of meat and split them, freezing when required. To be honest we don't waste much food which I think is key. I find where we tend to go wrong is when we run out of food, we come home hungry and buy takeaway instead of doing a top up shop so I try to do the click and collect order a few days in advance.

I'm quite a picky eater, so often struggle with ideas, I made a big list of meals I like and pick from that when doing the shopping.

Cheering you on along your journey!

Hi CCJ,

Thanks for calling In, I know, nothing like this ever happens to me, I have been terrible with money since my first littlewoods account at 16 so I am determined to put it to good use repaying and saving, but I think its important to live aswell so I am planning for a small break away for me and the kids! :)

II buy the big packs of meat too and freeze and it makes a huge difference I think :T
    I am however pants at shopping, so hoping switching to only online will help. I usually go to the supermarket, forget one thing, go back the next day and at least another £20 is spent!! :eek: I'm terrible for popping in on the way home and getting the kids a treat too, which soon adds up. We aren't terribly picky but we are quite repetitive, so then it comes to cooking I don't really fancy it and hello Just-eat ( I do use quidco tho :money::rotfl:)

That's going to be the biggest challenge I think, adding a bit of variation! I am going to look at some recipes this week whilst i have a full shop in, then order the rest of the bits i need ready to be delivered next monday! Hopefully we can give eachother some motivation xx:T
  • teafor2teafor2 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon PrincessP :) Taking the pots slowly is a good idea. It's surprising how many everyday categories there are when you stop to think about it, especially with children, and it can feel a bit overwhelming seeing a long list of things that need to be saved for :o

100% agree that life is for living so saving towards a holiday or some days out is good and everybody deserves something to look forward to. And if you combine the things that cost money with some cheaper/free events you can't go wrong.

I do a weekly on line shop and I'm always taking things out of the basket that we don't really need because I've gone over budget :D I find it's really good at keeping me on track. I do only pay £1 or £2 at most for delivery though as I'm here all day so can pick and choose the cheap times but as CCJ says there is always the option of click and collect.

Hope the budget meeting goes well, maybe you'll keep each other motivated along the way. :) xx
    55 Posts
    So far today has been a good day!! :j

I have managed a NSD yesterday, and think I have another on the cards today as it's almost home time and we are having Chicken and Broccolli bake for tea :) but not going to count my eggs just yet!

I've had my eye on a new living room cabinet for some time but it was £179.00 so was planning to save up for it, However it went on sale last week for £135.00 + £6.99 delivery. I had £120 in my quidco account built up (Got £110 from EDF for switching earlier last year, but only recently paid) so decided to draw it out and got a 6% or 8% trade up bonus!! This practically paid in full for the cabinet :T:T So, I decided to order the cabinet, paid using my quid-co money , I added the balance using my bank card, think it was a fiver or so....I then got a £10.00 gift card for spending over £100.00 emailed ( any guesses where its from) I also used Quid-co to order so got £14.00 cashback tracked too! :j

Waited in on Saturday for this to be delivered, drill at the ready......and it was a no show :eek: Called up the supplier this morning who "think" a delivery was attempted, I had an email saying between 07:30 - 09:30, nobody came, no card posted...So they have refunded the £6.99 delivery back into my account & are re-delivering on Saturday! :j I think once my cashback confirms and my refund is processed I may actually be in profit with this one :rotfl::rotfl: I'm so pleased and will be keeping an eye out for my £6.99 to see which pot I will be filling up! :T:T
  • DancingInTheRainDancingInTheRain Forumite
    879 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Wow what a fantastic start to your diary, well done & hope your good fortune continues :)
    01.06.19 Debt £13,636
    Debt Free 25.07.20
    Started again 31.12.21 - WWOTW: £59,875 (Mortgage/CC/Student Loan)
  • edited 4 June 2019 at 10:02AM
    princesspenniesprincesspennies Forumite
    55 Posts
    edited 4 June 2019 at 10:02AM
    Thankyou DancingInThe Rain :)

So I managed another NSD yesterday so 2 out of 3 for me which is an achievement. I am taking my lunch to work again today, I went on a nice long walk yesterday to keep me busy and get out of the office so may do the same again today! :)

I do need my eyebrows doing though, so may pop down on my lunch and do that instead, depending on the weather. They cost £8.50 which is a bargain as she does a brilliant job, I hardly get my hair done but do like to keep up with my eyebrows every couple of weeks, so I may have some spending today!

I also joined up with Prolific a few days ago, I already am a member of Yougov and InboxPounds but there quite slow to top up, Prolific have given me my first survey for £3.00 so not a bad way to kick off the day!

Have a good day all!!! x
    55 Posts
    Hi All,

Done a little bit of spending yesterday, 03-09th June : £25 left

I have spent £4.00 over the last 2 days, DS needed £1.00 for Non-uniform day, and I bought DS's dad a Peaky Blinders Mug ( Had a £5.00 voucher also) Last month I booked for us all to go to a Family Fun Day at the races which cost me £18 (offer on groupon) so at least that's fathers day sorted! :j:j

Hope everyone is doing well! :)
  • CreditCardJunkieCreditCardJunkie Forumite
    522 Posts
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    You're doing so well! That's amazing about the free furniture! I'm going to have a look at Quidco, I do use topcashback but it sounds like I'm missing a trick on that one! Races sounds fab for father's day
    Debt Free as of December 2020 👏
    55 Posts
    Quick update..

I somehow have been roped into helping out at DS1 school fayre on Sunday by running a stall, I also am going in Saturday to help price some raffle prizes up etc.....I'm never going to bloody sports day again lol :) Saturday should be pretty spend free, I've got the furniture being re-delivered and SF prep but Sunday I can imagine being pretty spendy.

I still have £20 of my weeks money left, my gran was taken into hospital earlier in the week so I popped up with some food for my mum who had been there all day and eve practically but was money well spent. I am going to give the kids £10 each for the school fayre so will be no money for pots but usually would end up spending about £40.00 there.

My prolific survey was confirmed at £3 I hope I get some more surveys through as it will add up much quicker than the yougov ones !

In other news I had a job interview yesterday, would be a £4.5 k payrise if I get it, then potentially another £2k but would mean going back to work full time, and losing out on the company pool car where I am currently at.

I am not going to put too much thought into it at the moment, I felt it went well but they are seeing a few others today I think too...will keep you all posted.

Hope everyone has a brill day X
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News