Protective CIFAS

A4445
A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
I was a victim of credit card fraud.

Credit Card company sorted it out with no issues. I was then loaded onto the CIFAS database for my protection. It’s cause my issues, I can’t even apply for a savings account without 2 forms of ID and credit card applications are always referred.

Is there anyway I can get CIFAS to remove it as it’s cause me issues, and I haven’t done anything wrong.

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    You have already suffered fraud, but you want to lift the restrictions to make it difficult for further fraud to be committed because all applications get referred and you need to prove your identity?

It's causing a mild inconvenience but is protecting you.

You should just tolerate it while it's on otherwise potentially you could be a victim of even bigger fraud which takes months to resolve, leaving you out of pocket in the interim.

How many applications are you planning to make over then next 12-24 months?!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    A4445 wrote: »

Credit Card company sorted it out with no issues. I was then loaded onto the CIFAS database for my protection. It’s cause my issues, I can’t even apply for a savings account without 2 forms of ID and credit card applications are always referred.

Is there anyway I can get CIFAS to remove it as it’s cause me issues, and I haven’t done anything wrong.
    Have you explained to the credit card company who filed the protective marker about the inconvenience it is causing? You could then request that they remove the protective marker.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A4445 wrote: »

Is the issue you dont have the 2 forms of ID ?
  • A4445
    I appreciate what your saying it’s not a huge inconvenience. It’s just irritating that I’ve done nothing wrong but I have to prove it’s me every time.

The building society I wanted to open a regular savings account wanted 3 forms of ID. That’s not an issue but I don’t like sending my drivers license and my passport in the post. There aren’t any branches close to me to take them there.

I didn’t end up having the account in the end.

It’s not just credit applications it’s everything financial. It’s on my report for 13 months.

One credit application took 3 weeks to be a approved. I had to answer multiple questions about accounts on Experian it made me feel like I was the criminal.
  • eco_warrior
    eco_warrior Posts: 563 Forumite
    The bank removing it opens up a risk to them and all other lenders.

Never heard of anything being removed before but it’s not my field these days.
  • A4445
    I think I will have to accept it will be there and things will take longer.

I guess it’s for my own protection. It’s just annoying I’ve done nothing wrong and have to pay the price when even applying for something simple as a savings account.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The extra checks will make it harder for fraudsters to use your identity again.

If it’s removed and because you have been a target of fraud before they will likely think your easy so they will target you again. Having extras checks is better you don’t want your files to be damanged by a fraudster do you.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• A4445
    Yes your right I will leave things as they are!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure