Enlarging existing loft hatch with new door

Options
Hi,

We have just been quoted £180.00 for enlarging existing hatch to 600 mm x 900 mm (currently its 600 mm x 600 mm) and installing custom made new door (they said it will be made on site).

I already have bought a aluminium three piece ladder which I intent to install myself after the door is installed.

Does the price sounds reasonable ?
Which is better hatch door , custom timber or readymade uPVC ?
What should be ideal size for the hatch so it's easy to change door in future without cutting ceiling ?

Thanks

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 May 2019 at 2:59PM
    Options
    1) The price seems reasonable - Full days work and materials

2) The ready made plastic doors I've seen on new builds are a pain in the b*m - The door has no hinges and must be lifted and then pushed aside, and to relocate it means standing on a chair or step ladder, Plus it will put the quoted price up

3) Best is a plywood door, (15/18mm thick), hinged to drop down behind the ladder position, with a thin doorstop section faced with draught excluder for it to close onto, and a locking set that includes a reach pole and slotted retaining lock
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,120 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    dogshome wrote: »
    1)

3) Best is a plywood door, (15/18mm thick), hinged to drop down behind the ladder position, with a thin doorstop section faced with draught excluder for it to close onto, and a locking set that includes a reach pole and slotted retaining lock

That's what I did - the extra 300mm kaes life so much easier.

My "door" is covered with insulation - I think called "Space Blanket"
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seems reasonable to me. I have done the same job myself and it took all day.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Seems reasonable, do you think it would be worth asking if there's any chance they could fit the ladder whilst they're up there?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their responses.
    @kerri gt, I have asked them about ladder and they have installed for me for free!

@dogshome you were right about plywood door. It definitely looks better then pvc!

Also I ended up enlarging 1200mm x 600 mm which gives us plenty of space. Total was £180 (Hatch) + £50 (Ladder from Aldi) = £230.00 .
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    ric1982 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for their responses.
    @kerri gt, I have asked them about ladder and they have installed for me for free!

@dogshome you were right about plywood door. It definitely looks better then pvc!

Also I ended up enlarging 1200mm x 600 mm which gives us plenty of space. Total was £180 (Hatch) + £50 (Ladder from Aldi) = £230.00 .

Thanks for the update, that was good of them to install the ladder, I expect it didn't take long with them having their tools out and already fitting the hatch, asking nicely, a cuppa and some biccies goes a long way :D
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• markin
    markin Posts: 3,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What size did the Ladder instructions say it needed?
  • ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    markin wrote: »
    What size did the Ladder instructions say it needed?

I am not sure but it was this ladder https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-folding-loft-ladder/p/073539256049600 .

The hatch was 1200 x 600 mm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport