Rejecting job offer after accepting via email

Hi,
Last week i accepted a job offer via email but I did not sign any contract, in the meantime another better job offer has come up which I want to accept.
Will i face any legal repercussions for rejecting the first offer?
I was looking at the page job offers: your rights on GOV.UK

And it says:
If a new employee changes their mind
If someone accepts an unconditional offer and then changes their mind, the employer can:

make them work out any contractual element of their notice
sue them for breach of contract

Is this accurate?

Comments

• abbiesmom
    abbiesmom Posts: 102 Forumite
    The sooner you tell them the better and you would be unlucky to have to work the notice period which would be no more than 1 week.

I once offered a vacancy to somebody who accepted but had a 4 week notice period with her previous employer, the day before she started I received an email to say they'd changed their mind and was staying where they were! Had we been told sooner we wouldn't have had to go back through the whole selection process. A vacancy that should have filled in 2 months took 4! If you tell them now they have an opportunity still to appoint from people already seen, leave it too long and that chance diminishes.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    abbiesmom wrote: »
    The sooner you tell them the better and you would be unlucky to have to work the notice period which would be no more than 1 week.

Statutory notice would be ZERO.

Contractual notice is in the contract which we have not seen
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,130
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,
    Last week i accepted a job offer via email but I did not sign any contract, in the meantime another better job offer has come up which I want to accept.
    Will i face any legal repercussions for rejecting the first offer?
    I was looking at the page job offers: your rights on GOV.UK

And it says:
    If a new employee changes their mind
    If someone accepts an unconditional offer and then changes their mind, the employer can:

make them work out any contractual element of their notice
    sue them for breach of contract

Is this accurate?

To the letter of the law it is accurate but in reality I wouldn't worry about it. I've never known any employer insist that they new hire starts work or sues for breach of contract. There would have to be extreme circumstances for an employer to even consider this.

Good practice is just to be honest and let them know as soon as possible. If they really want you they may make you a better offer.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just do the decent thing and call them to apologise (then follow up by email).

Don't worry about being asked to work or sued, not going to happen.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,314
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No employer wants an unwilling employee, so don't waste time worrying.

Just a thought - is the 'better offer' better all round, or just financially? If the latter, I'd ring tell the employer you plan to turn down and explain the situation. Do it nicely and they might even up the offer...
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure