Money Moral Dilemma: Should we pay for driving fines that weren't our fault?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
On holiday in Italy we hired a car with another couple. We saved money by only selecting one driver (from the other couple) who was then caught speeding four times and was fined €200 for parking in a disabled zone, despite our warnings. They've now been charged €400 for the fines and want us to pay half - should we?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I wouldn't pay anything - it was the driver's choice to speed and park illegally.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    NO No NO If it had been UK they would also have collected penalty points would they have asked you to take some of the points? (And then risk a prison sentence for perverting the course of justice).
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Why would anyone pay anyone else's fines?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have seen some very silly "dilemmas" on this forum but this one has to be up there with the most stupid one ever posted.

Forum mods, give your heads a shake.
  • f4phixeruk
    f4phixeruk Posts: 89 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No. Would also think twice about holidaying with this driver. In fact would be loathe to get in a car with them full stop.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 May 2019 at 8:41PM
    Options
    ....say Nope.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Caz3206
    Caz3206 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a related story. I know someone who is always the designated driver for holidays, not really by choice.

On a recent holiday she vented her frustration at Spain's road rules, and how confusing it was. The conclusion was that she told the passengers that if she was to get a fine while taxi-ing them around, she would ask them to share the cost. They agreed.

I think this is ok because they know her driving ability, and because she told them in advance of the rewuirement. I don't think you can do it retrospectively, especially if the passengers advised against the decision.

I would say though, that I wouldn't agree to be driven by anyone with different values in this than me, and would rather pay more for travel than argue about it.
  • IslandLife
    IslandLife Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    How many times did you warn them not to speed and park in unsuitable places?
    If you were very vocal about it, then don't pay.

I think there will probably be some fall out from this, but *shrug*, serves them right for driving dangerously.

As a rule of thumb, I don't agree to drive anyone for the duration of a trip, regardless of cost. I've done it once, and it's such a pain in the !!!, everyone else gets to relax. Whilst I'm freaking out about which turn to take, and the weirdness of the rental car.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    Another unbelievable dilemma....!
    Of course you don't pay if you really did warn the driver he or she was doing wrong.
    Speeding 4 times? Why let that person continue driving?
    As noted by another forumite, if the driver gets a prison sentence would you go halves on that?
    I didn't think so.
  • marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    This again is not a dilemma .

As others have said , it is up to the driver to take responsibility for their actions .

So where is the dilemma ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport