planning permission to extend 2 garages into one?

Options
A weird question a property is coming available next door to my fathers house and i think i'm going to purchase it. my question is really as he doesn't use his garage at all and because its in need of restoration is it possible to obtain planning permission to extend both garages at the rear of the properties into one big garage? currently sits under 2.5m height length is about 6m and width is 3m with a old coal shed attached to the side leading up to the other property.

The garages are on the boundary of the property leading straight into the lane behind the house how difficult would it be to obtain planning for this?

Comments

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So you want to buy a house and incorporate next door's garage into an extension to your house?

I think planning may be the least of your worries.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How does Dad feel about you devaluing his house?

Seriously, there are too many variables and no plan people can look at to understand the physical set-up and potential ramifications. Much more detail would be needed, such as what kind of lane's behind the garages? Is it adopted by the council? What kind of roof would you envisage adding? How much has the house for sale been extended in the past? etc etc.

A house purchase is a serious matter, so getting an appointment with the planning dept is not a big deal in the overall scheme of things. It's what I did. Although I love it, I didn't rely on a bunch of amateurs on this site!
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What are you intending to do in terms of who owns the land that the garages sit on?

When one of you decides to sell up, it's going to be very odd if there's a big building in the back garden, but only half of it is being sold.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure