New challenges for OrangeFairy 😝

in Debt Free Diaries
34 replies 3K views
Hi all,

I haven’t been on MSE for a while but it has really helped me in the past. We cleared all out debt to save for a house- we have achieved that goal but now have a bit of debt due to the house move and purchases.

It isn’t unmanageable but hoping to concentrate on it over the next few months- it will be harder this time as we are paying more on the mortgage than rent plus hubby is about to finance a car which is pretty darn expensive however it has been a dream of his for a long time. We lost a friend of ours recently and it gives you a bit of a ‘you only live once’ feeling however it still needs to be balanced.

The car is something we can afford at the moment and though I’d like a cheaper option I also want hubby to be happy so we just need to make sure we are covered.

I realised recently that I was using my credit card as a habit again and I was also scared to look at my bank account so this tells me I need to get some control back!

My goals

1. Get rid of credit card debt
2. Complete the house jobs we need to sort
3. Holiday abroad in August
4. Overpay the mortgage
5. Start emergency savings pot
6. Shop more locally
7. Become more eco friendly
8. Make the effort to be more sociable
9. Lose weight
10. Budget for Xmas

I will leave a couple of posts blank- one to list debts and the other for our budget 😀

Thanks for reading

OF x
Orange Fairy
House Purchased April 19 :) CC1=? CC2=? DH CC= Mortgage Overpay = £0 Savings = £0 Xmas savings = £0 Weightloss = 0 lb

Replies

• OrangeFairyOrangeFairy Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    To edit with debt values
    Orange Fairy
    House Purchased April 19 :) CC1=? CC2=? DH CC= Mortgage Overpay = £0 Savings = £0 Xmas savings = £0 Weightloss = 0 lb

2.6K Posts
    To edit with budget
    Orange Fairy

• jwiljwil Forumite
    13.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck :) Congrats on the house move x
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    2.6K Posts
    Thanks Jwil!

It’s been something we have been working towards for so long and I sometimes can’t believe we are finally here in our own house

Today has been lovely. I wrote an inventory of the food we have in the house and meal planned for the next week.

Then we went for a food shop which was a little more than I wished it to be but we will be starting June with a lot of food!

This afternoon has been a little bbq using fridge and freezer items and we have sat on the sunshine with a G and T and even had an outdoor snooze.

Will check finances and get serious tomorrow!

Hoping not to spend much money this weekend 😃 Hubby is grouting the kitchen floor tomorrow so that will stop us going out and spending!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend

OF x
    Orange Fairy

2.6K Posts
    Not much to report today

Lazy morning but I did make a batch of red lentil soup for lunches.

It is such a cheap dish to make and full of goodness! 😃

Off to my brothers tonight for a family evening which will be good. Will take my cheaper gin with me and hubby has some beer so will be a nice night with little cost.

Tomorrow we are planning to go to RHS gardens as we have membership and then we have hubbys sister and family round for dinner so need to decide what to cook!

Mmmmmmm

Orange Fairy

• beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    77.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    MFW. Finally mortgage free February 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    2.6K Posts
    Thanks Beanie!

Today hasn’t been very MSE- I meal planned and then got home and just didn’t have the energy to cook the meal we planned so we had bacon and egg sandwiches.

Long day at work today and tomorrow- then Thursday is a shorter day but we fly from Exeter to Glasgow that even to pick up our new car and drive it 9 hours back!!! Yep....mental

This one is £100 cheaper a month than he was originally looking at so it is a little more reasonable.

Daughter had her prom dress fitting today which was lovely- can’t wait to see her in it on the day - need to remember to budget for this.

Will update debt and budget tomorrow

OF x
    Orange Fairy

2.6K Posts
    I definitely need to go back to concentrating on the little things as these add up and make a difference

Today’s list:

Strip DDs bedding so I can do a light wash that is full
    Lunch from stores
    Make lentil spag bog for dinner with extra to freeze
    Choose cheap hotels for trip to Glasgow to get car- research thoroughly
    Finish work at same time as hubby to save bus fare home
    Write up budget
    Write up debts
    Update signature
    Pay money to mums birthday present

I hope everyone is having a good day!

OF x
    Orange Fairy

• Linz4383Linz4383 Forumite
    318 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Subscribed x
    Followed your previous diary 😀
    Good luck with the debt busting and budget planning x
    2.6K Posts
    Hi Linz- fab to hear from you :) I hope you are well x

Finally checked my banking today and I was relieved that I wasn’t out of money! My siblings put in money for my mums birthday present so I was worried I would have been using that cash which needs to be used to but said item :p

So I am unable to edit my post I left for debt values so here they are:

CC 1 £1950 (0% interest for 20 months)
    CC 2 £699 (incurring interest)
    Next £200 (incurring interest)

Total £2849

I am not sure what hubby has on his card as he bought quite a bit for the house and we are able to fly to Glasgow to get his car and I think some of the deposit for finance is on his card.

So once it has settled I’ll get him to look abd total it up.

We might have to put a shed on credit card as we have to get one pretty soon.

Gutted that I have money to pay back again but it isn’t too drastic and it has all been stuff for the house or flights to Glasgow . We made the decision to get everything we wanted for the house and then pay it back over the summer rather than wait. We wanted to enjoy the house straight away.

Next post is our outgoings and expenditure....
    Orange Fairy

This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide