Replacement remote control for TV etc

Options
We're very old fashioned so no cable/satellite etc - just Freeview.

We have:

1. Toshiba TV - AV61*D* Digital Series with remote control CT-90326 (and Freeview receiver).

2. Panasonic DVD Recorder/Freeview receiver DMR-EZ49VEB with remote

3. A very old Sony set top box VTX-D800U with remote RM-X800 (IR?)

The remote for 2. is fine, but the remotes for 1. and 3. are giving up the ghost and becoming very unreliable with not all function buttons working correctly.

What's the best and most reliable way of getting replacement remotes for 1. and 3.? I'm not bothered about having three separate remotes although I suppose just one doing three jobs might be better. But it has to be able to replicate all the functionality of the existing remotes.

I don't want to mess about getting something from ebay or wherever that may not work. Functionality not necessarily price is what I'm looking for.

What are my options?

(PS the Sony box is virtually redundant because the remote is so far gone. I've kept it because in some respects its Freeview receiver seems to be better than the other two).

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have bought several remotes on eBay over the years. As long as you get a genuine original then there's not usually a problem.

This one for your Sony box looks OK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Sony-RM-X800-Remote-for-VTX-D800U-Digital-Terrestrial-Receiver/123773276922?hash=item1cd17652fa:g:D5QAAOSwMrJczbVS
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    One For All, Essence 3 would work but the buttons won't all be labelled the same so takes a bit of time to learn.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Personally I'd have thought you would be best off just using the Panasonic DVD Recorder (as luck would have it, the only working remote).

Is there anything the TV or old Sony adds that you would seriously miss?
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Personally I'd have thought you would be best off just using the Panasonic DVD Recorder (as luck would have it, the only working remote).

You may be right! :) I'll have to play around with it over the weekend. It's just that digital reception on the DVD recorder and the EPG are not as good as the other two. (Having said that, I can't even access the EPG on either of the other two 'cos the buttons don't work!).

One issue might be subtitles. We like them for some, but not all, programmes. I can't turn those off at the moment 'cos the buttons don't work!
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Most non working remotes can usually be restored by taking them apart with a thin knife down the seam and twisting to seperate the two halves,sometimes there may be a small screw involved, wash the rubber button pad with soapy water and give the circuit board a good wipe with white spirit or any other solvent type cleaner.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

as above,

try this first.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Thanks all.

Apart from testing that the DVD remote gives us all we need(?), I'll try cleaning the other two as well.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options

Well, after a detailed perusal of the manual, and a week playing around, the Panasonic DVD remote is perfectly adequate. We never used the DVD except to play discs and old VHS, so I didn't fully appreciate all its features.

Haven't had a chance to try cleaning the other two yet, but will have a go. If that doesn't work will look at a 3 in 1 as a backup for the DVD remote.

Thanks all.
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if they are infa red , you can test by looking at the "eye" when pressing buttons , thru your phone camera
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure