can you change your name by deedpoll before divorce is finalised?

Options
Brumwood
Brumwood Posts: 8 Forumite
I was curious, is it possible to change your name by deedpoll while waiting for a divorce to go through? I am currently waiting a nisi to be granted, and i don't have kids. I would like to go back to another surname different from my Maiden name sooner rather than later...is this possible? i thought to ask here as i have found conflicting info on google.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 May 2019 at 7:52PM
    Options
    You can change your name whenever you like, married or not.
    You don't even need to do it by deed poll if you don't want to. Just let everyone know that henceforth you wish to be known as....

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    Also, you've always had your maiden name; you just chose to be known by your husband's surname.

Your birth certificate shows that you are you, although you may need the marriage cert. too.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Crack the passport office by getting a passport in your maiden name then follow up with banks dvla etc. No deed poll required.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The passport agency won't issue a new passport in your maiden name without either a change of name deed, or sight of your decree absolute, but you can change your name whenever you want.

For day to day purposes, you can tell people you are going back to your former name, and just do it, For formal purposes, you either do the change of name deed or wait until you have the Absolute, but you are free to do a change of name deed deed poll whenever you like.,
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    The passport agency won't issue a new passport in your maiden name without either a change of name deed, or sight of your decree absolute, but you can change your name whenever you want.

Are you sure? I always thought women were perfectly entitled to use their maiden name when married, divorced whatever without any need to formally change it?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 May 2019 at 10:28PM
    Options
    I thought you could use any name you wish provided it's not to defraud. I don't use my married name.

ETA: It seems from reading Google that things have changed as a result of concerns about identity fraud, money laundering etc. Many organisations now need documentary evidence. A marriage certificate or divorce papers would be examples but in OP's case it would seem Deed Poll is the most straightforward way.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I thought you could use any name you wish provided it's not to defraud. I don't use my married name.

ETA: It seems from reading Google that things have changed as a result of concerns about identity fraud, money laundering etc. Many organisations now need documentary evidence. A marriage certificate or divorce papers would be examples but in OP's case it would seem Deed Poll is the most straightforward way.

Or her birth certificate.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you sure? I always thought women were perfectly entitled to use their maiden name when married, divorced whatever without any need to formally change it?

I changed mine back the moment I left my ex husband with none of the above.

I now use both names, maiden and married depending on how I feel on the day :rotfl:
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • cheeky-peach
    cheeky-peach Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I changed my name on my passport back to my maiden name without my decree absolute. I had to provide a statement to say I wanted to be known by my maiden name and provide utility bills in my maiden name to prove it was what I was going by.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've changed my name with nothing more than a marriage certificate. There's literally no need to get a deed poll, despite what all the companies on Google say !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure