25 replies 8.8K views
13»

Replies

• slingaslinga Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Callie22 wrote: »
    Some of the best basil I ever grew came from Aldi (or Lidl, it was one of the discounters). I bought one pot, split it into six, stuck them on a sunny windowsill and ended up with far more basil than I was able to use.

Make some Pesto paste.

Very easy, lasts long in the fridge and is great with spaghetti.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • Teacher2Teacher2 Forumite
    546 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    I buy my herbs from the fruit and veg section of Tesco’s. The plants are in pots and will grow and spread in the garden. I have a collection in giant flower pots and they are decorative and tasty.

Tesco's Price is much cheaper than that of garden centres and they often have growing herbs in the knock down, yellow sticker section. I have had growing herbs for 50p.
  • dllivedllive Forumite
    742 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Hi all. I just thought Id reignite this thread.

I have my belfast sink all planted up and the herbs are doing well. (All given to me from Mother as cuttings).

However, its just occured to me: what happens in winter!? Do I need to put a blanket or something over the sink so they dont all die in the frost? Or do I have to dig them up and bring them inside during winter months?

The herbs I have are chives, thyme, fennel, dill, mint and rosemary.

Thanks
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dllive wrote: »
    do I have to dig them up and bring them inside during winter months?

The herbs I have are chives, thyme, fennel, dill, mint and rosemary.

Thanks
    My answer earlier in the thread covers this. Only one of the above will die, because it's an annual.

Others might die because of vine weevil larvae. They certainly get at my mint, but can't eat it fast enough to kill it! :rotfl:They won't eat some of the plants listed, like chives.
    Depending on your winters, you might only see the rosemary, chives and thyme in winter. Others may disappear for a while.
  • dllivedllive Forumite
    742 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Davesnave wrote: »
    My answer earlier in the thread covers this. Only one of the above will die, because it's an annual.

Others might die because of vine weevil larvae. They certainly get at my mint, but can't eat it fast enough to kill it! :rotfl:They won't eat some of the plants listed, like chives.
    Depending on your winters, you might only see the rosemary, chives and thyme in winter. Others may disappear for a while.

Thanks Davesnave. (I should have reread the entire thread before posting! lol)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

For over 45 shows in January and February

MSE Deal

Join the 1p Savings Challenge 2022!

It should help you save £667.95

MSE Forum