Contactless cards

Options

Comments

• Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think the issue being made is more the point of inconvenience which I completely understand. If you lose your card or it's stolen, it can be used by anyone to make some transactions which you will then have to prove wasn't you (if they are made before cancelling then banks are unlikely to refund it) and then try and get it back and be wihtout that money which that person may need or have low funds. At least without Contacltess, it cannot be used in shops and you've got time to call up and stop the card from being used online hopefully.

If you read up on contactless they say:
    You are fully protected against fraud, so you get all of your money back and will never be left out of pocket.

So you simply ring up and say those transactions were not you and they will refund you. You don't need to prove anything and even transactions before you report it lost/stolen are covered. I have never read of anyone being refused a contactless payment refund after reporting it as fraudulent.

The banks want to promote this so they know they need to fully guarantee it.

I've never lost any card or had one stolen ever, if your careful then it's very rare for for a card to be used fraudulent for contactless payments.
    If someone only has one account and no emergency fund and would struggle due to contactless fraud they would be better off spending the time sorting out their finances than trying to get non-contactless cards.
  • dr_adidas01
    dr_adidas01 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure that's true as I've certainly done more than 3 in fact looking at my bank on one day i've done 15 contacless payments and not been challenged to enter my pin
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not sure that's true as I've certainly done more than 3 in fact looking at my bank on one day i've done 15 contacless payments and not been challenged to enter my pin

Out of interest is that contactless with the card or with an app on a phone linked to the card?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My bank is so strict on the use of its cards, I can't use it at the checkout in store then go straight away and use it in either the BWS or cigarette counter

I have now linked my card onto my phone. If I. lose my phone, needs my thumb print to activate the card
  • 20SmthngSver
    20SmthngSver Posts: 512 Forumite
    Options
    That's why I use a credit card, I never use a debit card. When I used to, especially online, it would often get blocked by Visa. Apart from Saturday on MusicMagpie, where both my Halifax and Santander credit cards were blocked, I've never had an issue. Also with over £100, it pays to use a credit card. I've had to raise a few disputes but only could as I used a credit card.

Instead I bought an iPhone from HandTec and I tried my Halifax one, they wanted to confirm through OTP. I tried twice and I never got a text message. I did Santander and I got one straight away. I preferred it when you can to entered digits of a password, anyone can see a preview on a phone of a message from a OTP (that's if it works and if you have signal).

I did have a wallet stolen in Barcelona about 10 years ago, but that was the only time. I've never lost a card.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you lose your card or it's stolen, it can be used by anyone to make some transactions which you will then have to prove wasn't you (if they are made before cancelling then banks are unlikely to refund it) and then try and get it back and be wihtout that money which that person may need or have low funds. At least without Contacltess, it cannot be used in shops and you've got time to call up and stop the card from being used online hopefully.

The thing is: analysis of real-life data shows that contactless payments may up a minuscule fraction of fraudulent transactions. This is because contactless payments are unattractive to fraudsters because:
    1) They're low value (not much profit to be made selling something you bought in a shop for <= £30) and
    2) you have to be physically present to make them - most shops have CCTV and a contactless payment would show exactly when and where you were, which is way too much exposure to get goods worth £30.

Fraudsters are *much* more attracted to using cards to make large online purchases.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 22 May 2019 at 11:56PM
    Options
    In practice, any fraud committed with contactless payments tends to be in the order of a few hundred pounds and the banks are generally fairly happy to reimburse victims of this, as long as the story adds up.

If you're worried about contactless you may be able to selectively turn contactless on and off in your banking app, or request a con-contactless card instead.
    : )
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ergates wrote: »
    The thing is: analysis of real-life data shows that contactless payments may up a minuscule fraction of fraudulent transactions. This is because contactless payments are unattractive to fraudsters because:
    1) They're low value (not much profit to be made selling something you bought in a shop for <= £30) and
    2) you have to be physically present to make them - most shops have CCTV and a contactless payment would show exactly when and where you were, which is way too much exposure to get goods worth £30.

Fraudsters are *much* more attracted to using cards to make large online purchases.

This is totally correct.

The magstripe on the back of your card and the numbers printed on it each individually give you more fraud exposure than contactless does. The scaremongering about contactless is just that.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    I have requested and received none contactless versions of my NatWest and Barclays debit cards

I have also scratched the CVV numbers off the back of them, partially because they then cannot be used online if lost but also because they then cannot be used to reset Internet banking logon details
  • 20SmthngSver
    20SmthngSver Posts: 512 Forumite
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    This is totally correct.

The magstripe on the back of your card and the numbers printed on it each individually give you more fraud exposure than contactless does. The scaremongering about contactless is just that.

This is not actually true. Read this link about how at the point of a Contactless card or mobile device touching a reader, it can be intercepted by someone nearby and they can remotely steal the info of the card and then use it to buy online. The link shows how Which? managed to do this and buy a £3000 TV online. A bit like how you don't know if a skimmer is in an ATM, you don't know if card readers are fitted or tampered with remote stealing devices. If this remote stealing happens, you'd actually not be aware of it either. It's concealed and you wouldn't know how your details had been obtained.

It's a simple fact that Conactless cards directly opens you up to multiple traudulent transactions if stolen or lost. I know you get money back, but either way, you'd still have to sort it all out and get replacements. Card clash is another issue. You'd still have to remove the card from a wallet to ensure other cards aren't charged.

The other issue is Contactless taking the payment more than once. I know of people saying that the shop for example took a payment twice, and it had to be refunded from head office. only issue that it was refunded twice too, so the shop lost money.

It's not just to pass it off as scaremongering. If people have genuine concerns, then it's legimate for them to air them on this forum.

https://www.which.co.uk/money/banking/banking-security-and-new-ways-to-pay/new-ways-to-pay/contactless-cards-ah1q15s797hb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure