Bowel Camera- sedation or not?

Options
13»

Comments

• SeeMe
    SeeMe Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just got my letter and its in 2 weeks time at 8 30am, it says if you don't have sedation then entonox (gas & air ) may be offered to suitable patients. I have no major health problems so hope i am suitable for this, as this is what i prefer rather than sedation.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fingers crossed for you that all has gone well!
  • SeeMe
    edited 16 June 2019 at 3:03PM
    Options
    Fingers crossed for you that all has gone well!

Yes all done now, the movieprep caused me more problems on the morning of the procedure than the camera itself. I had the gas & air, and the only times i felt pain was through a very fast build up of wind in which the nurse said just let it out and don't be shy its what we expect, so this happened 3 times and i blame the moviprep which also never emptied me 100%.

I loved watching the monitor as something was removed with a wire loop and then foreceps which caused a bit of blood, but was compleatly painless.But again i must say i did let a few rip during the half hour procedure but could not help it and no one batted an eyelid.
  • magicman62
    magicman62 Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have had several of these myself the first was with sedation seemed to have little effect tbut was probably more of a relaxent he rest where with gas and air a few quick puffs when he went round the bends was all i needed , besides it was very interesting see my insides on the screen ...
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’d recommend sedation because it isn’t difficult to work out what is going on in there. When I had mine done a couple of weeks ago, the 3” long furry slug thing I saw on the screen was clearly not meant to be and the consultant told me there and then it was bowel cancer.

The sedation certainly helped with the news. Wind the clock forward and I’m about to be discharged from hospital after keyhole surgery to remove it last Wednesday. Biopsy next to decide whether chemo needed.

A bit annoyed that the NHS poo sticks had given me the all clear the year before yet the cancer had been in there for several years.

Sedation might be the better option given the very reason you’re being examined and the possible discovery right before your eyes.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • SeeMe
    Options
    I’d recommend sedation because it isn’t difficult to work out what is going on in there. When I had mine done a couple of weeks ago, the 3” long furry slug thing I saw on the screen was clearly not meant to be and the consultant told me there and then it was bowel cancer.

The sedation certainly helped with the news. Wind the clock forward and I’m about to be discharged from hospital after keyhole surgery to remove it last Wednesday. Biopsy next to decide whether chemo needed.

A bit annoyed that the NHS poo sticks had given me the all clear the year before yet the cancer had been in there for several years.

Sedation might be the better option given the very reason you’re being examined and the possible discovery right before your eyes.

Sorry to here about your problem, but as you say the NHS poo sticks are no way 100% accurate yet, and i think a new test has been mentioned to replace it, which is supposed to be more accurate, although never 100%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure