Bowel Camera- sedation or not? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Bowel Camera- sedation or not?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
26 replies 3.2K views

Replies

• katiepantskatiepants Forumite
    182 posts
    The hospital I went to gave sedation and pain relief as standard. I don't remember much of the procedure because they had to increase the dose of sedation for me quite considerably, I vaguely remember it hurting a lot, and then nothing until I 'came round' in the recovery room.

The worst for me was not the procedure, nor the 'prep' with Movicol, but more the fasting for over 24 hours. My slot just kept getting more and more delayed so I didn't go in until after 4.30pm, by the time I got home it was after 7, and I'd last eaten at 5pm the night before!! I have never been more hungry in my life!
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
  • humptydumptybitshumptydumptybits Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is hard to say. I found it much easier than I expected except I had a very sharp bend in one place so ended up with a junior doctor and nurse putting pressure on my abdomen to try and straighten it enough for the camera to get round If it hadn't been for that one spot I'd say it is painless but I

did need gas and air for that bit.

The sandwich and cuppa they gave me afterwards was wonderful, amazing how hunger does that to you.
  • UKTigerlilyUKTigerlily Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only had the Sigmoidoscopy, but chose to just have the gas & air in my hand for if needed, which it wasn't

I did feel better knowing it was there immediately if needed though, so that could be one way to go about it; it might not be as bad as expected!
  • SeeMeSeeMe Forumite
    343 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I only had the Sigmoidoscopy, but chose to just have the gas & air in my hand for if needed, which it wasn't

I did feel better knowing it was there immediately if needed though, so that could be one way to go about it; it might not be as bad as expected!

Yes i am leaning that way at the minute.
  • JEN22JEN22 Forumite
    612 posts
    I had gas and air and was fine
  • MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My hospital team were very two by four - if I have the sedation, I can't drive myself home. As my family were having litters of kittens Anyway, I reckoned the more I could dodge the dose & then barrel back to them the better. Farting like the proverbial trooper's horse, but better out than in.

In all honesty the other camera, down the throat, was more difficult to "tolerate".

The medics were very supportive & helpful - and if you change your mind, you can always be dosed part way through. I found the idea of being able to get home made it all wholly manageable.

Best of luck!

100% agree with this. The colonoscopy was surprisingly easy to tolerate and I had 2 nurses holding my hands and saying “you’re doing well”. From what I remember there was only light sedation and as others have said the 24 hours before where you have to take very strong stuff to clear out your system and live next door to the loo was much worse.

I found the endoscopy very distressing by comparison as you have to swallow the tube. Fortunately it didn’t take too long.
  • SeeMeSeeMe Forumite
    343 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    JEN22 wrote: »
    I had gas and air and was fine
    Was that the bowel or throat procedure?
  • JEN22JEN22 Forumite
    612 posts
    Bowel procedure
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had one with gas and air which was fine.

For my next I asked for sedation, I ended up being given another dose of everything halfway through, then requested gas and air on top, which i was given. Only needed a few puffs.

I didn't sleep during the procedure but did for an hour afterwards.

There really wasn't any logical reason why I needed so much the second time. I had a much gentler prep for that one too!
  • choillechoille Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had three & took nothing the last time as they said I wouldn't need it but I will take mild sedation the next time as I found it pretty uncomfortable.

They do like you to have someone come & pick you up if you are having sedation. because I had arranged just to phone my partner once I was done & meet him outside - that's why I went without so I could do that.