New Post Advanced Search

Courtesey car charges

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
1 reply 351 views
BenjibeeneyBenjibeeney Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi all.
I hope someone can kindly give me some advice.
My 72 year old mum has car insurance through saga.
A third party hit her car and their insurer contacted my mum. A friend told mum to speak to her insurer. She did and saga said to go via them rather than the third partys insurer. And they would sort the repair on her behalf via the other chaps insurance.
Saga said they would sort her a courtesey car. They then passed her onto claim fast who i believe are owned by the same group as saga.
She's a 72 year old women and signed the document from claimfast and gave them her credit card details telling her not to worry..she wont have to pay..it's just standard procedure.
The hire car was for 8 weeks and was shipped up for 150 mikes away and was a ridiculous price..i think 200 a day for a vw golf. She didn't worry as she thought it was covered and that she was in safe hands with saga.
She has now received a letter from claim fast and has been told she may be liable for the cost of the car hire which runs into thousands.
The letter states that she needs to sign to give them authorisation to take the other guys insurer to court for the cost of the car hire, however if this fails my mum will be liable.
What should she do?
Thank you very much in advance for any help you can provide.
B

Replies

• edited 19 May 2019 at 1:44PM
    QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 May 2019 at 1:44PM
    She should send back the form signed as requested.

If she's not happy with saga then the route to go down is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if she is not happy with the reply or they ignore her for 8 weeks she can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to her