New Post Advanced Search

ESA/ joint claim

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
3 replies 420 views
BeclouBeclou Forumite
4 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
Looking for a bit of advice for a family member. She works part time. 11 hr/Pw claims carer allownce for partner who gets ESA and pip. The doctor wants her to be signed off her work due to worsening arthritis. However, she obviously doesnt earn enough for sick pay. She has paid national insurance 2 out of the last 3 years.
Would this be a joint claim for ESA? Is there anything else they can claim? Would he carers allownce stop?
Any help much appreciated thanks!


  • Alice_HoltAlice_Holt Forumite
    3.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    I suggest she puts her details into a benefits calculator.

    Is the current ESA claim Contribution-based or Income-Based.

    Does she have enough NI contributions in the last 3 years to claim New-Style ESA in her own right?

    They really need to take all details / paperwork with them and get a benefit check from their local advice centre.
    Claiming an income-based benefit may mean a UC claim - that needs careful thought.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    They need to check if the ESA is income based, if it is then they should already be claiming as a couple because it's a means tested benefit.

    I agree with Alice that a visit to an advice agency for a full benefit check is needed.
  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    7.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Adding to what Alice and poppy have said.

    Carer’s Allowance will not stop. She continues to be entitled provided she is still able to care for at least 35 hours per week.

    In addition to making sure she is included in partner’s ESA claim, she already should be if it is income based, she can look at whether she qualifies for PIP herself. This will depend on how her arthritis affects her.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support