Buyer Claiming Fraudulent Signature

Options
poorly_scammo
poorly_scammo Posts: 34,024 Forumite
Hi,

Just received message from buyer to say that he hasn't received his item and that someone has signed for it as him. He is wanting me to chase this up with Royal Mail.

Am I right in thinking that I can do nothing more because as far as I'm concerned, the item has been delivered and signed for. Do I need to tell him that he needs to chase this up with RM and open an 'item not received' with eBay? Obviously I have proof of signature as I've screenshotted it.

FWIW, I think he's genuine in this case but I don't see what I can do.

Thanks all.
4.30: conduct pigeon orchestra...

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,203 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Just received message from buyer to say that he hasn't received his item and that someone has signed for it as him. He is wanting me to chase this up with Royal Mail.

Am I right in thinking that I can do nothing more because as far as I'm concerned, the item has been delivered and signed for. Do I need to tell him that he needs to chase this up with RM and open an 'item not received' with eBay? Obviously I have proof of signature as I've screenshotted it.

FWIW, I think he's genuine in this case but I don't see what I can do.

Thanks all.

Assuming this is not mega expensive then a signature is not even required, just ask them to ask other people in the house if they have signed for something and perhaps just contact RM to see if they have any additional information that can assist.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Assuming this is not mega expensive then a signature is not even required, just ask them to ask other people in the house if they have signed for something and perhaps just contact RM to see if they have any additional information that can assist.
    I agree with the above.

I'd add that if you can see a signature, see if you can make out a name. On one occasion with a similar problem the name was clear and I managed to Google it with the street name and find it with someone in the same street (It was something like sent to number 2 and signed at number 22).

It's worth contacting Royal Mail for any help. If the buyer is suggesting a fraud has taken place then, as it's fraud on them, they would need to contact the police.
  • poorly_scammo
    poorly_scammo Posts: 34,024 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, both.

Well I contacted RM and they've started a formal investigation so we'll have to see what the outcome is. I'll have to wait at least ten business days before I know anything. I honestly don't think they'll find anything 'interesting'. Perhaps I'll get some compo that I can pass on to the buyer.

We'll see. I'll update in case it's useful to anyone else reading.
    4.30: conduct pigeon orchestra...
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had a parcel delivered today while we ere out.

It was left on the doorstep but the tracking shows it as being signed for by me.

The chances of it being stolen are low but if it had of been where would that leave me?

I can understand them not wanting to have to come back again but not happy that they lied it had been signed for by me.
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you let the buyer know the situation? It shows you are taking action (even if it is possibly outside your control). I found that keeping another party aware of delays is far less stressful for all than silence.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family