Buying a car and what cover do I get?

New Post Advanced Search

Buying a car and what cover do I get?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
8 replies 1.5K views
alex_knight_2alex_knight_2 Forumite
31 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Hi. Im looking to buy a car from a private seller for £10,000. Im worried that despite me doing checks that the car may turn out to be a clone, stolen or not what it seems. If I pay for some of the car on one of my credit cards will I be covered if it happens the car is a dud

Many thanks for your help

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A private seller won't accept a card payment.
  • Terry_TowellingTerry_Towelling Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not quite in the right part of the forum, so you might not get the responses you were hoping for.

However, if you pay for some of the car on a credit card (not sure how you are going to do that with a private seller) and there is a breach of contract or misrepresentation by the seller that gives you a legal claim against that seller, you would have a like claim against the supplier of credit - i.e. your credit card company (subject to all the usual S75 qualification criteria).

Given the fact this looks to be a private sale, you aren't going to be able to pay by card but you will still be entering into a contract with the seller and you will still have rights for breach of contract, misrepresentation etc - but any claim would have to be resolved directly with the seller or through the courts - and you'd probably need to have a written contract to show what you were promised and how that was not fulfilled to be successful.
  • Ah thank you all :) Totally understand

Kind regards
  • MallyGirlMallyGirl Forumite, Board Guide
    5K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will move this to the standard credit card section as it is not about stoozing
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • edited 20 May 2019 at 11:58AM
    18cc18cc Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 May 2019 at 11:58AM
    I would google for tips about buying second hand cars from private sellers eg always go to their house (don't meet half way etc etc). You are pretty much on your own - eg if it was stolen then the rightful owner would reclaim it and you would lose your £10,000 unless you can take the seller to court and they have assets.

They will almost certainly want cash (I would before parting with my car) so you have no comeback. Make sure you get a receipt (so they can't claim it was stolen from them) and ideally take someone with you s a witness.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    27.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would never buy a car for ten grand from a private seller.
  • edited 20 May 2019 at 7:52PM
    Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 May 2019 at 7:52PM
    You may find these links helpful.

https://www.theaacarcheck.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl_fp2bKq4gIVzZPtCh1OqQoeEAAYASAAEgKvy_D_BwE

https://www.theaa.com/vehicle-inspection/?source=Google&ito=87770&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhuOql7Oq4gIVgr_tCh3V5gs8EAAYASAAEgIDofD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#/mini-details

When purchasing the car ask the seller for valid photo ID and ensure details on the ID correspond to details on the car documents.
    Would suggest paying by bank transfer rather than cash and don't just accept the details from the seller. Copy them yourself from a bank statement or a cheque contained in a cheque book and check name on the account corresponds.
    If excuses are made or you have any concerns take your business elsewhere.
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    The other thing to bear in mind, following a recent thread on a similar topic, is to look carefully at the length of time the car's been owned by the current owner for.

I'd be really wary of anything under a year.

In that particular case, it appears that although all the paperwork and ID checked out, it had been previously purchased using a fake/stolen card!!! The car was then siezed by police.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j