PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting from a family member

2»

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks everyone for your advice. It's clear to me that it's against all rules and would look like a contrived tenancy. I've been looking for somewhere to rent in Cardiff from January this year but it's hard to find a landlord that accepts housing benefit!

Welcome to MSE. :)

Given your parents are financially secure and wish to assist you ... will your parents pay a larger than usual deposit to the landlord and/ or sign as your guarantors?

Being guarantors means they are legally liable for the rent if you stopped paying for any reason. This relates to the whole period of occupation not just the initial six months.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 May 2019 at 4:42PM
    When you’re filling in the housing benefit claim form, list the rent as the full market rent. They will pay the LHA rate and you can just not bother topping it up from your own money.

I’m assuming your parents are never going to take you to court for the ‘arrears’.

ETA: just read this on the Shelter website. Looks like a low rent is not a problem after all.

‘Local authorities should not assume there is no commercial arrangement just because the agreement is between close friends or relatives, the rent is low or because the landlord does not let to tenants for purely financial reasons’
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    When you’re filling in the housing benefit claim form, list the rent as the full market rent. They will pay the LHA rate and you can just not bother topping it up from your own money.

I’m assuming your parents are never going to take you to court for the ‘arrears’.

Okay that's one aspect of the contrived tenancy 'sorted' (through fraudulent representation)

Now how is she going to hide the fact her parents bought a house solely to rent to her using benefits? Fake names?
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Okay that's one aspect of the contrived tenancy 'sorted' (through fraudulent representation)

Now how is she going to hide the fact her parents bought a house solely to rent to her using benefits? Fake names?

From what I’ve read, these cases are at the local authority’s discretion and I know other people in the same situation who have had no issues at all. I can’t see the council being all that bothered since the OP is going to be claiming housing benefit regardless. It won’t be costing the council anything more.

Though I guess if they did query it, the OP’s parents would have to rent out the house for 6 mths initially, to a stranger.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure