Forum Home » Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

ebay seller refunded money without supplying return address and label

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

ebay seller refunded money without supplying return address and label

8 replies 940 views
Matty36Matty36 Forumite
173 posts
100 Posts First Anniversary
Opened a return case to return a Not as Described Item. Seller is fine about it. They tried to offer discount but I turned that down as the item is totally different from the one I ordered.

However, they immediately supplied a refund before supplying a return label, which in turn closed the case. Wasn't I suppose to be supplied with a return label with a return address to send the item back? I googled it and it says the return label should be inside that case. Surely the refund shouldn't have happened until the seller had received it?

With the case now closed because of the early refund, with no return address or label, what should I do? I want to return it in case the seller opens a case against me for not returning it.

I would contact ebay for advice, but their contact form has conveniently disappeared from their website. There is nothing in their contacts and help page about contacting ebay

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    65.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Matty36 wrote: »
    Opened a return case to return a Not as Described Item. Seller is fine about it. They tried to offer discount but I turned that down as the item is totally different from the one I ordered.

However, they immediately supplied a refund before supplying a return label, which in turn closed the case. Wasn't I suppose to be supplied with a return label with a return address to send the item back? I googled it and it says the return label should be inside that case. Surely the refund shouldn't have happened until the seller had received it?

With the case now closed because of the early refund, with no return address or label, what should I do? I want to return it in case the seller opens a case against me for not returning it.

I would contact ebay for advice, but their contact form has conveniently disappeared from their website. There is nothing in their contacts and help page about contacting ebay

If it was an obvious SNAD then many sellers will just refund and not pay for the item to be returned, I've done it on obviously damaged or broken items.

Just email the seller, thank them for the refund and ask if they want the item sent back and if so are they sending the label.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Matty36Matty36 Forumite
    173 posts
    Ok, will do. Thanks

First time this has happened to me so confused me a bit
    173 posts
    Update. Seller just responded saying that they do not pay for returns and that I should return the item at my cost.

This isn't right is it? The SNAD case has been closed as they refunded early, so what should I do?
  • lindenslindens Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update. Seller just responded saying that they do not pay for returns and that I should return the item at my cost.

This isn't right is it? The SNAD case has been closed as they refunded early, so what should I do?

they have to pay for SNAD returns they have no choice. but as you have the item and the money i would do nothing until a label is sent. it may never be sent.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • GabbaGabbaHeyGabbaGabbaHey Forumite
    938 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Tell the seller that they have 14 days in which to provide a return label (or to collect the item), after which you will dispose of it. Then cease any further communication unless they respond.

You have your refund; if they want the item back, they need to pay for it.
    Philip
    173 posts
    Thanks for the replies. Do they have any option to open a case against me for failure to return if they wont supply a label?
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    65.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. Do they have any option to open a case against me for failure to return if they wont supply a label?

There is no case possible, the seller is being stupid.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    173 posts
    I'll send them one more messege then not bother again

Thanks guys/girls