Which WiFi Booster ? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Which WiFi Booster ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
22 replies 1.8K views

Replies

• colejamescolejames Forumite
    12 posts
    My suggestion is powerline with the WIFI- Adaptor. The great working and services. Top 5 powerline adapters in 2019 are given below,
    1 TP-Link AV1000 Gigabit Powerline.
    2 TP-Link AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline.
    3 TrendNet Powerline 500AV2 Adapter Kit.
    4 TP-LINK AV1200 Gigabit Powerline Adapter.
    5 Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    15.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But whose top 5 yours fred bloggs joe soap ??
  • grumpycrabgrumpycrab Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    But whose top 5 yours fred bloggs joe soap ??
    possibly this https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Croft12Croft12 Forumite
    240 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    colejames wrote: »
    My suggestion is powerline with the WIFI- Adaptor. The great working and services. Top 5 powerline adapters in 2019 are given below,
    1 TP-Link AV1000 Gigabit Powerline.
    2 TP-Link AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline.
    3 TrendNet Powerline 500AV2 Adapter Kit.
    4 TP-LINK AV1200 Gigabit Powerline Adapter.
    5 Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi.

Tp are more expensive but the quality is v good. I get 74mb (from a router at 80mb) at approx 40' on their power adaptor.
  • Biggus_DickusBiggus_Dickus Forumite
    922 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Croft12 wrote: »
    Tp are more expensive but the quality is v good. I get 74mb (from a router at 80mb) at approx 40' on their power adaptor.
    Another thumbs up for TP-Link.

I’ve had TP-Link powerline adaptors for many years but one unit failed recently so had to purchase a new set. £23.99 inc del, so cheap enough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

I have 110Mbps Virgin fibre broadband and the new TP link powerline adaptors run my upstairs TV consistently at 70Mbps,...very stable,...and that is through a modern consumer unit on a separate ring main. Very impressive tbh.:money:
  • grumpycrabgrumpycrab Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • ANDY597ANDY597 Forumite
    431 posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    I have the Tenda WIFI Cubes am Im very pleased with them, im not too techy so cant offer a fair comparison to the others mentioned.
    922 posts
    ✭✭✭
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Does the remote unit do wifi? Perhaps you mean this?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/
    No,...it doesn’t have Wi-fi,...they’re purely point- to- point powerline adaptors. Wi-fi in my house is a bit iffy ;...I’ve tried a number of wi-fi extenders but always with mixed results tbh. The point-to-point powerline adaptors are always very stable,...I can’t say the same for wi-fi,... not in my house anyway.

I know the OP was looking at wi-fi boosters in particular but he/she mentioned their downstairs TV suffers from weak signals so a set of powerline adaptors should do the trick,... for a relatively modest price ,...if only for that particular TV of course.
  • Croft12Croft12 Forumite
    240 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    No,...it doesn’t have Wi-fi,...they’re purely point- to- point powerline adaptors. Wi-fi in my house is a bit iffy ;...I’ve tried a number of wi-fi extenders but always with mixed results tbh. The point-to-point powerline adaptors are always very stable,...I can’t say the same for wi-fi,... not in my house anyway.

I know the OP was looking at wi-fi boosters in particular but he/she mentioned their downstairs TV suffers from weak signals so a set of powerline adaptors should do the trick,... for a relatively modest price ,...if only for that particular TV of course.

You can of course use a powerline with wifi to hard wire to the TV but act as a hotspot in the room as well.
    922 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Croft12 wrote: »
    You can of course use a powerline with wifi to hard wire to the TV but act as a hotspot in the room as well.
    Absolutely:) ,... as the old saying goes “you pays yer money and you takes yer choice”