New Post Advanced Search

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Increase in remortgaging

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
6 replies 133 views
Nebulous2Nebulous2 Forumite
2.9K posts
Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
An increase in people remortgaging and withdrawing cash. Average additional borrowing £55,700. Are we going back to the old days? I guess we'll see an increase in people hitting retirement with substantial mortgage debt.

http://www.cityam.com/277715/uk-remortgaging-rate-jumps-owners-cash-low-interest-rates

Replies

• chucknorrischucknorris Forumite
    10.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    An increase in people remortgaging and withdrawing cash. Average additional borrowing £55,700. Are we going back to the old days? I guess we'll see an increase in people hitting retirement with substantial mortgage debt.

http://www.cityam.com/277715/uk-remortgaging-rate-jumps-owners-cash-low-interest-rates

I read the article just to check something out, and the article confirmed my suspicion:

"The 9.1 per cent rise in additional borrowing remortgages compared to a year ago reflects the fact that a lot of people are choosing to add value to their existing homes rather than move,” he said.

Stamp duty, estate agents, solicitors and other fees make extending a viable option for many.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    11.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I'd assumed a lot of people would be using the money to extend/upgrade rather than move. That usually increases as house prices stagnate.

£50k should add another couple of rooms on the back.
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    24.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is happening to average mortgage debt per property? With a sluggish sales market doent mortgage debt tend to fall, especially with io now a niche product?
    I think....
  • edited 17 May 2019 at 11:35PM
    phillwphillw Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 May 2019 at 11:35PM
    michaels wrote: »
    What is happening to average mortgage debt per property? With a sluggish sales market doent mortgage debt tend to fall, especially with io now a niche product?

last year it just recovered to pre 2008 GFC levels. It was up in February (I've not seen anything newer).

Non mortgage debt is up to £15k, which is insane.
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    24.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phillw wrote: »
    last year it just recovered to pre 2008 GFC levels. It was up in February (I've not seen anything newer).

Non mortgage debt is up to £15k, which is insane.

Could ultra low mortgage rates be the issue? I have 6 figure mortgage debt which I could pay off but don't because I can get more interest on the same amount saved than I would save by paying it off.
    I think....
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Moving, especially in a quiet/unpredictable market, is so much hassle and cost.... for many, if their current house can be "knocked about a bit" to become closer to what any new house would've provided them with, it's a better option.

I first thought of extending my house, then realised that it'd not make my worst features go away .... so I am now selling/moving - and, by God there's some rubbish out there for sale... if my current house could have been made to be "just what I want" I'd have built/stayed.