New Post Advanced Search

Switching energy supplier

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
7 replies 524 views
petrolheadno1petrolheadno1 Forumite
2 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Hi
I have a question. Last month, I switched energy supplier from Eon to Scottish Power.

Scottish Power gave eon readings and I had £610 in credit with Eon tied up. After scottish power gave the readings to Eon, I discovered I only got a cheque for £155.

I'm confused by this and it doesn't sound right as I paid £120 last month and £120 the month before.

I have tried talking to Eon but they are giving me vague answers.

How can I go about disputing and challenging this?

Thanks.

Replies

• Matty36Matty36 Forumite
    173 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    Only thing I can advise is to use the Resolver website, it helps greatly with complaints.
    You will need to go through your bills and arm yourself with proof as to why the amount they sent you is incorrect.
  • JStewerJStewer Forumite
    41 posts
    Hi
    I have a question. Last month, I switched energy supplier from Eon to Scottish Power.

Scottish Power gave eon readings and I had £610 in credit with Eon tied up. After scottish power gave the readings to Eon, I discovered I only got a cheque for £155.

I'm confused by this and it doesn't sound right as I paid £120 last month and £120 the month before.

Thanks.

You can follow the supplier's complaint procedure, giving details of why you think it is wrong

Probably better to pop along to the CAB with your bill and they will fully explain it to you. They really are not that difficult to understand in most instances.
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you switch both gas and electric ?

If so the refund will be just for one with the second to follow.

£610 is a lot of credit to build up - hopefully you were able to give accurate figures to SP
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Yes both gas and electric
  • Thomas_EdisonThomas_Edison Forumite
    148 posts
    You need to check the readings that were used in your final bill, if those are right double check the calculations but it's most likely the bills is right
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_HelenaE.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning petrolheadno1 and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like the credit on the account is from before the final bill has been produced.

When customers change supplier, the new supplier provides the old supplier with the meter reads, these then go through a number of third parties to be verified.

Have you received the final bill for both the gas and electricity?

Do the meter reads on your final bill from us for both fuels match what your new supplier has started your account from? Are these the reads you provided to your new supplier?

It will show on your final bill, what the charges were and how much credit was left.

I would check these things first, then we can go from there.

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • TakmonTakmon Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Thanks.

How often did you provide them with meter readings before and have you even looked at your bills to check the readings/calculations?.

It all very well saying it "doesn't sound right" but all the information is on the bills and it's not difficult to work it out yourself and see if there any mistakes and how much they owed you.