Forum Home » Motoring

Damage to car in car park

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Damage to car in car park

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
19 replies 1.2K views
Legacy_userLegacy_user
0 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
I parked my car in a car park on a small industrial estate. I drove into a designated parking space and found that my bumper was up against an approx. 30cm high small tree stump on the edge of the parking bay but situated in front of the post and rail fence I was using as a guide to how far I went in. The tarmac is crumbling away on the edge of the parking bay with weeds present so they could say that the stump isn't within the bay. However other cars in adjacent bays were parked further forward, closer to the post and rail fence. Damage to my bumper. Called the landlords who have said I parked at my own risk so won't consider. No signage in the car park stating you park at your own risk. I feel that this is negligence on their part as the tree stump wasn't visible driving in (I have a low car so didn't see it) and shouldn't be there. Is there anything I can go back to them with?

Replies

• AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    30.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You drove into a 30cm high tree stump, and it's somebody else's fault...?

Can we presume the stump was static, and didn't leap out in front of you?

"But I couldn't see it, my car was too low" is a lousy excuse. There may have been somebody having a lie-down in the parking space. Would you have driven over them?
  • UncleZenUncleZen Forumite
    704 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    You drove into a tree stump and you want someone to compensate you for your mistake - seriously?
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    12.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely your fault.

And there's no chance you'd miss a foot high stump.
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dianad wrote: »
    I parked my car in a car park on a small industrial estate. I drove into a designated parking space and found that my bumper was up against an approx. 30cm high small tree stump on the edge of the parking bay but situated in front of the post and rail fence I was using as a guide to how far I went in. The tarmac is crumbling away on the edge of the parking bay with weeds present so they could say that the stump isn't within the bay. However other cars in adjacent bays were parked further forward, closer to the post and rail fence. Damage to my bumper. Called the landlords who have said I parked at my own risk so won't consider. No signage in the car park stating you park at your own risk. I feel that this is negligence on their part as the tree stump wasn't visible driving in (I have a low car so didn't see it) and shouldn't be there. Is there anything I can go back to them with?
    Your insurance details? They may wish to claim for any damage you've caused to their property.
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not following the "I drive a low car so didn't see it." I drive a low car, I'm more likely to see something like that than in my Mondeo.

As others have said you've not a hope in hell. It is hardly like a 1ft high probably at least as wide if not wider tree stump is going to be invisible.
  • EdGasketTheSecondEdGasketTheSecond Forumite
    2K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    the tree stump wasn't visible driving in (I have a low car so didn't see it) and shouldn't be there. Is there anything I can go back to them with?

A chain saw?
  • unholyangelunholyangel Forumite
    15.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A booster seat?

Sorry, but I don't understand how you couldn't have seen it - regardless of what height your car is. Presumably your car didn't fall from the sky to land 1 ft in front of it.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    A booster seat?

Sorry, but I don't understand how you couldn't have seen it - regardless of what height your car is. Presumably your car didn't fall from the sky to land 1 ft in front of it.
    Quite. Presumably OP can't see road markings from her driver's seat, either. I'm amazed she could see the bay to park in it at all. Let's not even ask about zebra crossings, box junctions, give way markings...:eek:
  • MercdriverMercdriver Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shirley this is a wind up?
  • ScrapitScrapit Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    You should go back with an apology