PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

I was lent a house with no gas safety certificate

Options
I was rented a house with no gas safety certificate. As far as I'm aware the certificate ran out in April 2014. I lived in the house April 2017 - April 2019. Their was other tennants in from September 2015 - September 2016 aswell. It was brought to my attention about a week before I left, by my landlord. This was my 1st time renting so I didn't know this was an annual thing and didn't know I was supposed to check for the certificate etc.

My question is would the health and safety executive even take any interest now? Wither the landlord has actually bothered to renewed since I left I do not know, but the house has been leased twice that I know of without a certificate which does seem to be greatly neglectful on the landlords part.

Comments

• TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you get all your deposit back? Did you decide to leave or were you pushed?

It is my understanding that as you no longer live there you are highly unlikely to get any recompense for there not being a certificate. One could say it is your duty as a caring citizen, however to raise this matter with the appropriate authorities out of concern for the current tenants.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This was something to raise while you were a tenant. At that time, HSE could have taken action.

If the LL is still letting the property without a GSR, then yes, HSE would be interested, but would really need the current tenants to inform them.

Time to move on.
  • IMC2
    IMC2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Deposit is still on going but I'm not worried about that.

To put it plainly, the LL isn't particularly attentive to the property and was never intrested in problems with the house, we had no heating last year and no hot water after Xmas and he was reluctant to get them fixed/wanted us to play with the boiler ourselves. Which isn't ideal when your not a gas engineer. I'm more cornered about future tennants. It's more been playing on my mind wither to report it or not.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IMC2 wrote: »
    Deposit is still on going but I'm not worried about that.

To put it plainly, the LL isn't particularly attentive to the property and was never intrested in problems with the house, we had no heating last year and no hot water after Xmas and he was reluctant to get them fixed/wanted us to play with the boiler ourselves. Which isn't ideal when your not a gas engineer. I'm more cornered about future tennants. It's more been playing on my mind wither to report it or not.

To be frank there's nothing that you can do to a boiler which would damage it by just playing with it.

Low pressure is a common feature and a quick top up fixes it.

You would have to open it up to actually cause any issues.
  • IMC2
    Options
    @G_M

The HSE form for reporting this does have a section for wither you are the current Tennant or not. Surely they wouldn't have a 'conserned citizen' section if they weren't interested in non tennants reporting.

If you've let a property without a GSC you've committed a crime. If someone has evidence to prove a crime has been committed then surely the authority who are supposed to uphold the law in this area would be obliged to act?
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To be perfectly honest I suggest you report the LL at least that will stop the issue playing on your mind.

I'm not sure what you hope to achieve but at least you will get a good nights sleep.

You will need to be mindful that in reporting the LL it doesn't mean you will get any action taken that will affect you.No compensation is likely to be paid to you,and you may potentially never be told of the outcome of your complaint.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IMC2 wrote: »
    @G_M

The HSE form for reporting this does have a section for wither you are the current Tennant or not. Surely they wouldn't have a 'conserned citizen' section if they weren't interested in non tennants reporting.

If you've let a property without a GSC you've committed a crime. If someone has evidence to prove a crime has been committed then surely the authority who are supposed to uphold the law in this area would be obliged to act?

Just a pointer to you if I may for when you are completing the form for reporting.

Tennants comes in cans from Scotland....A tenant is what you were.

you have made the error consistently throughout your postings so need to make sure the correct term is used if you are taking this forward.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • IMC2
    Options
    Just a pointer to you if I may for when you are completing the form for reporting.

Tennants comes in cans from Scotland....A tenant is what you were.

you have made the error consistently throughout your postings so need to make sure the correct term is used if you are taking this forward.

Comes in bottles and in draft too...
  • IMC2
    Options
    To be perfectly honest I suggest you report the LL at least that will stop the issue playing on your mind.

I'm not sure what you hope to achieve but at least you will get a good nights sleep.

You will need to be mindful that in reporting the LL it doesn't mean you will get any action taken that will affect you.No compensation is likely to be paid to you,and you may potentially never be told of the outcome of your complaint.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm not interested in compensation or refunds. I'd imagine if this issues resulted in such, a LL would probably never allow it happen.

The main reason I held off is because I was worried it would be held against me when it came to checking out and getting my deposit back. I imagined that if I reported him there and then (even though it was the LL that brought it to my attention) that he would just fight fire with fire.

I wandering if it would be more hassle than it worth i.e. interviews with the HSE, having to fill out paper work etc for nothing to even happen.

If it is just a matter of submitting a complaint then the HSE take the complaint and do their thing then I'll probably just go ahead with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure