Forum Home » Budgeting & Bank Accounts

Chaotic Branch Opening Times

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Chaotic Branch Opening Times

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
25 replies 2K views
Emily_JoyEmily_Joy Forumite
458 posts
100 Posts Second Anniversary
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
I wonder whether this situation is "normal" or should I be making a complaint.

The local branch which I really need to visit (another branches won't do) seems to have totally unpredictable opening times. Last Friday it was supposed to be open as usual according to the website, but when I got there it was shut down with a notice "this branch is closed today, we will be open on Monday". I couldn't come on Monday so I visited again today (Wednesday) to find a similar notice "this branch is closed on 15th and 16th of May, we will be open again on Friday".
I am pretty certain (based on google reviews) that this happens every week.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Replies

• Most bank branches are being phased out stealthily. A lot of the services are available at the post office or online.
  • MilarkyMilarky Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a sign of the times, isn't it?
    .....under construction....
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps a small branch hit by a combination of illness and holidays?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • 20SmthngSver20SmthngSver Forumite
    497 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    A lot of them are reducing their opening hours, but I think the staff are still there before and after. Leeds Building Society changed theirs last year to open later and close earlier. They were 9-1 on a Saturday and now it's 9:15-12:45.

Apart from Metro Bank, no banks are even open on a Saturday in London. And during the week a lot of them are 10-4, which strikes me as very odd given the number of people.

They want your business and custom but they don't want to have to pay for any spaces for it. I think it will reach a point where it will go the other way as people do really want branches. There a things that a computer just can't do, not all cases are binary. And Telephone Banking can be so annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Milarky wrote: »
    It's a sign of the times, isn't it?

Was there a pun intended there?
  • Emily_JoyEmily_Joy Forumite
    458 posts
    ✭✭
    A lot of them are reducing their opening hours, but I think the staff are still there before and after. Leeds Building Society changed theirs last year to open later and close earlier. They were 9-1 on a Saturday and now it's 9:15-12:45.
    I don't mind reduced hours (e.g. 1:00pm-4:00pm on Wednesdays), but it's really annoying when advertised opening times have nothing in common with reality.
  • 20SmthngSver20SmthngSver Forumite
    497 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Emily_Joy wrote: »
    I don't mind reduced hours (e.g. 1:00pm-4:00pm on Wednesdays), but it's really annoying when advertised opening times have nothing in common with reality.

I do because that means they are never open when a lot of people can get there. If you work in a high street, you could get there on during a lunch break. But if you work 8:30-5 like a lot of people do and out of town and it's open either 9-12 on Saturday or just closed, really you're left with little to no option to get there.

Brings me back to my point about banks wanting custom but not making it easy for a lot of people. Everything else is open a full day on a Saturday and even Sunday, so banks should really be open and for longer on a Saturday, even it's is 9-3, 10-4 etc.
  • TakmonTakmon Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Emily_Joy wrote: »
    The local branch which I really need to visit (another branches won't do)

What do you need to do that means you have to visit one specific branch?

I've never needed to visit a branch in my life and i have accounts with lots of different banks.
    458 posts
    ✭✭
    Everything else is open a full day on a Saturday and even Sunday, so banks should really be open and for longer on a Saturday, even it's is 9-3, 10-4 etc.
    Just a quick search on Lloyds website shows that there are branches in (very) central London which are open 9am to 4pm on Saturdays, and 37 branches in total with Saturday openings.
    458 posts
    ✭✭
    Takmon wrote: »
    What do you need to do that means you have to visit one specific branch?

To collect foreign currency I've ordered in advance (from my foreign currency account with the bank in question).