PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Don't know where to start with renovating FTB

2»

Comments

• Section106
    Section106 Posts: 88 Forumite
    hazyjo wrote: »
    *facepalm* - even I missed that, and the first thing I look at is the floorplan! Ta.
    Fortunately the layout lends itself to partitioning bedroom 2 to give corridor access to the bathroom. :)

I was more alarmed that someone had found the need to put pipe insulation on various pipes in the kitchen and bathroom. Understandable if they have hot water in them... but the supply to the toilet? Condensation and icicles come to mind.

Also, the external brickwork at the rear is in poor condition with serious spalling, especially the corner on the left hand side of this picture https://imgur.com/w2o1dh2.

OP, you need to include the costs of getting building regulations approval for the changes you are thinking about.

The back end of terrace houses like this one are often built with a single skin of bricks (possibly explaining the need for pipe insulation). The wall you want to remove may be helping to support the bathroom floor and the other walls might not be strong enough to take additional loading (especially if they are single thickness and taking into account the condition). lincroft1710 is right that you may find yourself needing to demolish and rebuild to achieve your objective, and the economics of that probably don't stack up.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Section106 wrote: »
    Fortunately the layout lends itself to partitioning bedroom 2 to give corridor access to the bathroom.
    Did notice that, but would still mean me writing it off as it would turn that middle bedroom into prob just under 8' wide. If it was a 3 bed, it'd be worth it. But definitely not a 2 bed.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Even without the issues such as layout, my friend is in the middle of renovating a very similar property (albeit 3 bed with the bathroom downstairs) in a different area of of the same kind of age and yes, a full rewire was needed (not planned for but discovered after a random socket blew all the electrics incl the supply to the boiler...new boiler was also needed).

Plan for the worst in these scenarios, then if you manage to have £ left in your budget, great, if not, you're not surprised.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've got one of those houses where the bathroom is off the bedroom...we did a jack and jill corridor but other neighbours have made ensuites on the first floor and then converted the loft into a separate studio with bathroom.then theres always still the option of the downstairs shower room.

Whilst it may sound cramped the floor plan sizes are still more generous in the older properties than in some new builds.

Having said all that...if I was the OP I would still be looking for a property that doesn't need so much work
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Section106
    Section106 Posts: 88 Forumite
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Did notice that, but would still mean me writing it off as it would turn that middle bedroom into prob just under 8' wide. If it was a 3 bed, it'd be worth it. But definitely not a 2 bed.
    Agreed, especially as the bedroom comes with a large chimney breast.
  • agreen190
    agreen190 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thanks all.

You've been very helpful. I've decided not to proceed accounting for costs. I still think it's a good investment but I don't have the cash nor the experience to take advantage.
  • Good to see someone taking advice :)

My 2p would be to not underestimate how much gravel is in that back garden, if you had a mind to do something with it. I reckon there's an easy tonne/tonne and a half there. You (or more likely your lower back) would soon know about shifting that!
  • Albala
    Albala Posts: 310
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Good to see someone taking advice :)

My 2p would be to not underestimate how much gravel is in that back garden, if you had a mind to do something with it. I reckon there's an easy tonne/tonne and a half there. You (or more likely your lower back) would soon know about shifting that!
    Good point- it took 1/2 a ton of hardcore to floor our very small greenhouse- shoveling and bucketing that lot from the front of the house to the back nearly killed me.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure