1.7 million NHS fines overturned - MSE News

Former_MSE_Naomi
Former_MSE_Naomi Posts: 519 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 14 May 2019 at 5:38PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
About 1.7 million fines wrongly handed out to people thought to be falsely claiming free NHS prescriptions or dental treatment have been overturned in England since 2014, according to the spending watchdog...
Read the full story:
'1.7 million NHS fines overturned'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Is there a timeline within which NHS should send out these PCN letters?

Do they have to include when the prescription was collected ?

In one letter they have said that we took prescription somewhere during a 5 month period, where end of that period was over 2 months ago...!

If my GP surgery sends the prescription automatically to a pharmacy place and they automatically apply a previous maternity exemption but we don't collect the prescription - does that liable us to fine? And how can we prove this if the time is so much in the past?
  • It's often a nightmare for us when I need a prescription, as I'm included on someone else's claim, but when the powers-that-be check my own NI number they can't see that we're joint claimants, so it comes up on their computer as a false claim, when it isn't.

Have had at least one nasty letter in the past wanting to fine me, and accusing me of claiming fraudulently. It didn't come to anything, once I explained the situation to them, but they still had no idea how to avoid it happening again.
  • I have always paid my prepayment prescription by monthly direct debit but as I’m turning 60 in March they didn’t automatically renew it in September. They have now sent me a penalty notice and are refusing to cancel the penalty charge. The guy I spoke to on the phone was very sympathetic but says there’s nothing he can do except advise me to pay it. Any advice of where I go now?
  • This is exactly what has happened to me today.
  • I turned 60 last week and today got a penalty charge. I rang immediately only to be informed that I was sent a letter in July about renewing. I did not get any letter! I even rang them last week to enquire about cancelling my prepayment as I would be turning 60.
    This seems incredibly unfair to me. I am being penalised for a letter that I did not receive.
    I have now emailed them imploring them to use some common sense. (Well, I didn't put it quite like that) How can I prove that I did not receive a letter?
    Anyone got any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport