Forum Home » In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Sub £100 combi drill for DIY beginner - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Sub £100 combi drill for DIY beginner

31 replies 2.7K views

Replies

• James1968James1968 Forumite
    171 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Aldi's Workzone Titanium are worth a look. If you are intending to expand your tool collection as your DIY skills improve, and you intend to go cordless then the Ryobi range are worth a look with their 3 year warranty. Makita are expensive in comparison and based on tradesmen i know, not as well built as they used to be and they only have a1 year warranty.
  • silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aldi have a new range of cordless tools using 20/40 volt batteries [checks] called Ferrex. I bought the hedge trimmer and angle grinder and have already used the former. They seem well made and the hedge trimmer worked well and have a 3year warranty (2 years for the battery). Might be worth a look. The bare drill is £20, battery charger 15 and batteries are 15 (20v) or 30 (dual 20/40v).
  • ChrishazleChrishazle Forumite
    591 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Problem with cordless is future availability of replacement batteries - I had to bin 3 Axminster White perfectly good combi drills as I could not longer get replacement batteries, and re-celling each pack would cost over £50 - I had 7!!

For your use I'd highly recommend the Metabo 10.8V combi - I have both that and the 18V version - which I have hardly used since I got the 10.8V one, and also bought one for my SIL which he loves (and he also has a Makita 18V). Metal gears, and availability of replacement batteries for many years to come - plus compatability with other Metabo 10.8V tools (I have a sabre saw as well!). Keep an eye on the FFX website for deals.
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slightly over your budget but I upgraded to this from a cheapo Argos one, so far it's been great though haven't challenged it too much.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776d2t-gb-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-xr-cordless-combi-drill/899cf

As well as the drill, the drill bits can make a massive difference, a very competent DIYer recommended me these, being multipurpose you don't need to change if you're drilling through multiple materials

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-multipurpose-drill-bit-set-4pcs/95958
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pointless buying a second cordless drill for occasional diy work. An equivalent corded drill will be much cheaper, always ready to use and won't need to be thrown away when its battery fails.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    Hate the multi post quote. Hate the stupid 21 "badges" in my profile. Complete waste of space needing to be scrolled past daily to find posts you've commented on. Badges? Is this the Brownies?
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure you're big/strong enough, but, before you buy, just try holding it at shoulder height, then above, for 2-3 minutes.... I bought a drill, got it home, out of the box, couldn't even pick it up :)
  • onomatopoeia99onomatopoeia99 Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    For drilling brick / block you want a corded SDS. A normal hammer action drill will do it, but very slowly on the harder materials - frustratingly slowly at times.

I'm doing major refurbishment on my house which pretty much hadn't been touched in over forty years and have a 3kg Makita which cost just over £100 and has served me well after the 5kg "Titan" bargain basement special packed up.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
  • noclafnoclaf Forumite
    295 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Point taken guys on long-term benefits of corded/SDS rather than cordless so will look into those. Not massively fussed about weight but ideally don't want anything with hernia inducing mass :)
    Im hoping given the.popularity of cordless there might be some.good deals on corded models so will keep a lookout.
  • naf123naf123 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    For drilling brick / block you want a corded SDS. A normal hammer action drill will do it, but very slowly on the harder materials - frustratingly slowly at times.

I'm doing major refurbishment on my house which pretty much hadn't been touched in over forty years and have a 3kg Makita which cost just over £100 and has served me well after the 5kg "Titan" bargain basement special packed up.

It may be bargain basement but how can you go wrong with the 2 year guarantee by Screwfix?
  • statorstator Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Ryobi stuff has never failed so far.
    I buy extra tools on gumtree so now I have a collection and they all use the same batteries.

The LIDL range is supposed to be good value for money, but they don't always sell it
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.