Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

Item delivered, buyer claiming they didn't receive it

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Item delivered, buyer claiming they didn't receive it

16 replies 1.6K views
shapalashapala Forumite
485 posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
✭✭
Hi all

Sold a cheapish thing and via eBay Royal Mail tracking, the 1st class package shows as delivered but buyer saying they didn't receive it.

Probably been asked before but what do I do in this instance? TIA.

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    65.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    shapala wrote: »
    Hi all

Sold a cheapish thing and via eBay Royal Mail tracking, the 1st class package shows as delivered but buyer saying they didn't receive it.

Probably been asked before but what do I do in this instance? TIA.

Hopefully you uploaded the tracking at point of sale- if so just politely tell the buyer that item showed as delivered on xxx and perhaps they could just make sure that no one else in their household has taken it in.

If they open an INR then you will win (assuming as above, that tracking was added to the ebay listing on sale)
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • edited 14 May 2019 at 11:19AM
    shapalashapala Forumite
    485 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 14 May 2019 at 11:19AM
    soolin wrote: »
    Hopefully you uploaded the tracking at point of sale- if so just politely tell the buyer that item showed as delivered on xxx and perhaps they could just make sure that no one else in their household has taken it in.

If they open an INR then you will win (assuming as above, that tracking was added to the ebay listing on sale)

I've politely asked if it could have been left elsewhere and got a curt email saying 'haven't received it'.

Yes, I do my postage direct via eBay Shutl so the tracking is automatically added.

Do I just ask them to open an INR and I'll win the case in that case? Of 1000s items I've sent with RM over the years this is first time this has occurred.
  • ballisticbrianballisticbrian Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, this is the one thing eBays seller protection actually covers you for. If eBay look at their case and decide they haven't opened too many claims they may pay them out of their own pocket but that is really down to them.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_headthe_lunatic_is_in_my_head Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've politely asked if it could have been left elsewhere and got a curt email saying 'haven't received it'.

Resolving problems is a two way street, if they can't be bothered to communicate properly then just advise them to open a case and then phone eBay to have it closed.
  • shapalashapala Forumite
    485 posts
    ✭✭
    Is the Shutl eBay tracking number for RM good enough. I can see my side it shows delivered but buyer is becoming difficult and saying it doesn't work and is demanding a refund. Asked eBay and they've told me to tell him to open an INR. Does this sound right to you folks?
    65.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the Shutl eBay tracking number for RM good enough. I can see my side it shows delivered but buyer is becoming difficult and saying it doesn't work and is demanding a refund. Asked eBay and they've told me to tell him to open an INR. Does this sound right to you folks?

Yes it is, all that is required is proof of delivery.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_headthe_lunatic_is_in_my_head Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

Tracking might not update their side (sometimes eBay doesn't update the info), send them a link to the Royal Mail Track and Trace for them to check it if you wish but as Soolin says that's all correct.
    485 posts
    ✭✭
    Will buyer be refund and can he leave neg fb? Never had this before.
    65.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Will buyer be refund and can he leave neg fb? Never had this before.

As per the previous responses, you will won the INR and because you win it buyer will not be able to leave feedback. It might be that ebay will give them a goodwill payment, but that would be nothing to do with you.

Also as above, make sure you remind ebay via the dispute or on the phone that tracking shows item was delivered- I'm always over cautious and even if I have the tracking attached to the sale, would add it again to any message I put in the case discussion with a link showing it was delivered.

There are some instances where couriers or RM have left the parcel with a neighbour and not left a card with buyer, so by all means assist your buyer as much as you can- but always protect your account first and foremost, and then help the buyer.
    New to Forum? Guide
    485 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks Soolin

I feel a bit sorry for the buyer. It's not an expensive item <£20 but if RM have delivered to a neighbour and not left a card and doesn't know neighbours very well then it's not fair for him to be out of pocket and without the item. He has a LOT of fb and also gives good fb to sellers so not really doubting him, although don't really like his attitude.

My wife actually had something similar happen recently when hermes delivered something to her to a neighbour but (typical) they didn't say who and by then we were on hols. Our trusting neighbour delivered it to us when we were back. Don't know what the seller was up to tho - from UK took 2 weeks to arrive when we should've received it before heading away.