The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

How to get workmen to finsish work

Had a new drive and patio. The work was poor and I was miss sold drainage which a friend says didn't do anything and wasn't needed. I asked that the work be put right and for a refund for the miss sold drainage.
He said he would put the work right and do additional work rather than refund for the drainage, which I agreed to.
Although he left someone with me for a couple of days the work was still poor; not done with skill or care. The whole experience with them was not good as he was belittling.

The work has not been completed and he said he was having trouble getting the right colour slabs to complete the patio.
I emailed to ask when he would return to complete but had no reply. I rang and he said he does now have the slabs but he wont return due to someone threatening him.

He did tell me that a guy dove up to him when he was parked outside my house and told him not to do anymore work at my house, that if he saw him in the area again he would smash his face in. Not nice for him I know.

He reported this to the police. He is telling me that the police have told him not to venture in the area until the matter is resolved.; this is the reason he is giving me for not completing the work.

What to do? The work has been paid for and I would like it to be completed.

Comments

• Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Was it a local business doing the work ?
  • gem03
    gem03 Posts: 19
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes it is a local business near to me.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    gem03 wrote: »
    Had a new drive and patio. The work was poor and I was miss sold drainage which a friend says didn't do anything and wasn't needed. I asked that the work be put right and for a refund for the miss sold drainage.
    He said he would put the work right and do additional work rather than refund for the drainage, which I agreed to.
    Although he left someone with me for a couple of days the work was still poor; not done with skill or care. The whole experience with them was not good as he was belittling.

The work has not been completed and he said he was having trouble getting the right colour slabs to complete the patio.
    I emailed to ask when he would return to complete but had no reply. I rang and he said he does now have the slabs but he wont return due to someone threatening him.

He did tell me that a guy dove up to him when he was parked outside my house and told him not to do anymore work at my house, that if he saw him in the area again he would smash his face in. Not nice for him I know.

He reported this to the police. He is telling me that the police have told him not to venture in the area until the matter is resolved.; this is the reason he is giving me for not completing the work.

What to do? The work has been paid for and I would like it to be completed.

Speak to the police and ask if they can rule this out as it sounds like made up story
  • gem03
    Forumite
    Thats what I was thinking. I will talk to police but not sure if they will be able to give information to me.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Id contact him again mentioning that as he isnt fulfilling the contract agreed he will be liable for any remedial work needed to complete the job. Get 3 quotes from local trades people to put it right and forward them on to him asking which he would prefer you picked (not suggesting you listen to him but him seeing the quote amounts will hopefully kick him in to gear).

Hopefully hell come back, if he doesnt, providing you have an adress and suspect he can afford to pay for it pursue him through the courts.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    gem03 wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking. I will talk to police but not sure if they will be able to give information to me.

They will if you phrase it right.
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Did you get 53 quotes and go for the cheapest?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Unfortunately, as you have paid up front, you may never see the workmen or your money again. Before I read to the end of the post, I was going to say "threaten not to pay the balance" as that should have worked.

I hope he is honest enough to return and complete the work to your satisfaction.
  • gem03
    Forumite
    3 quotes and went with the best reviews. He wasn't the cheapest, wish I'd gone with the cheapest and saved myself some money.

I was just wondering if others would think the same as me, that he is spinning me a tale. (he certainly has in the past, he's not turned up a few times with some story or another).

It's not nice to have workmen treat you badly and also do a bad job.

I will follow this up but I was hoping he would finish work first.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I had a similar problem,told him if he didnt complete that social media is very powerful.
    He laughed and then pleaded for me to remove all my comments,i said i would when he completed the job. He finished it the next day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure