Metro Bank tells customers their money is safe after safety deposit box rumours - MSE News

Metro Bank had queues of customers inquiring about their safe deposit boxes in some London branches over the weekend, which the bank says was due to "false rumours" on social media and messaging apps. If you're a Metro Bank customer who's worried, here's the latest info and your rights...
Read the full story:
'Metro Bank tells customers their money is safe after safety deposit box rumours'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
«1

Replies

  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The words 'smoke' and 'fire' immediately come to mind.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • edited 13 May 2019 at 2:56PM
    BenightBenight Forumite
    418 Posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 13 May 2019 at 2:56PM
    'Long queue outside my branch – is everything OK?'


    Not sure how many Metro customers even have safety deposit boxes.

    I guess the run on the bank is being fuelled by the fact the bank is urgently seeking an additional £350m to stay afloat, following an "accounting error"

    Some report the bank is struggling to raise the required cash, whilst the bank itself says they are in advanced talks.

    The bank's shares have plummeted around 75% since January when it announced it needed the money to boost its capital.

    In a separate move, Metro Bank is also considering selling the commercial loans affected by the accounting error.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48243155

    I know the FSCS will protect customers savings up to £85,000, but anyone relying on that will not get an immediate refund, should the worst happen

    A bird in the hand, and all that.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just idly curious, not having the sort of money or possessions that would merit one, are deposit boxes just for cash and other assets people are hiding from HMRC or maybe their partners?

    Or is there a reason for having one that doesn't involve some kind of deception?
  • ZandermanZanderman Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Just idly curious, not having the sort of money or possessions that would merit one, are deposit boxes just for cash and other assets people are hiding from HMRC or maybe their partners?

    Or is there a reason for having one that doesn't involve some kind of deception?

    Surely mostly it's just for security? You seem a little over-suspicious!
  • BenightBenight Forumite
    418 Posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Just idly curious, not having the sort of money or possessions that would merit one, are deposit boxes just for cash and other assets people are hiding from HMRC or maybe their partners?

    Or is there a reason for having one that doesn't involve some kind of deception?

    Keep your valuables safe and sound in one of our in-store Safe Deposit Boxes. Rent a Safe Deposit Box for as long as you want, and access it 7 days a week. If it's important to you, it's important to us.

    Our in-store vaults are super-safe and an ideal place to store everything from jewellery to antiques to confidential documents
    https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/safe-deposit-boxes/

    But I don't think its documents or jewellery, let alone antiques, all these people are after

    methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fd60dbd9e-74dd-11e9-b846-1db033dab27d.jpg?crop=1176%2C662%2C7%2C231&resize=685
    Customers packed out the Harrow branch at the weekend. Bosses said they would not lose access to deposit boxes even if the bank were to go under

    - source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/metro-bank-soothes-concerns-over-its-financial-health-kcd6jd5sd
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    19.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Benight wrote: »

    Not sure how many Metro customers even have safety deposit boxes.

    I guess the run on the bank is being fuelled by the fact the bank is urgently seeking an additional £350m to stay afloat, following an "accounting error"

    Some report the bank is struggling to raise the required cash, whilst the bank itself says they are in advanced talks.

    The bank's shares have plummeted around 75% since January when it announced it needed the money to boost its capital.

    In a separate move, Metro Bank is also considering selling the commercial loans affected by the accounting error.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48243155

    I know the FSCS will protect customers savings up to £85,000, but anyone relying on that will not get an immediate refund, should the worst happen

    A bird in the hand, and all that.


    Is it only me ROFLMAO that a bank had an accounting error ?
  • HerbalusHerbalus Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Is it only me ROFLMAO that a bank had an accounting error ?

    It’d be funnier if it were an accountancy firm.
  • Doc_N wrote: »
    ...are deposit boxes just for cash and other assets people are hiding from HMRC or maybe their partners?...

    Deposit boxes come in various sizes but I think none would be large enough to accommodate a partner.
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Herbalus wrote: »
    It’d be funnier if it were an accountancy firm.


    It would be normal if it was an accountancy firm.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • short_butt_sweetshort_butt_sweet Forumite
    333 Posts
    ✭✭
    Deposit boxes come in various sizes but I think none would be large enough to accommodate a partner.
    unless your partner is a hamster.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals