We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Lowering concrete garden / parking spce

Options
Hi,

I live in a ground floor flat with a share of the freehold. I have a small patio and then a raised parking space (around 4ft higher).

I would like to excavate the parking space to increase the size of the patio.

Can anyone give advise on if I need planning permission to do this? Flat is in SW London.

Many thanks,

Fred.

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,322 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think you'd first need to know why the area is not level in the fist place. Is the raised parking area hiding something under it for instance?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is losing a parking space in London a sensible thing to do? Won't it reduce the value of your flat?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Is losing a parking space in London a sensible thing to do? Won't it reduce the value of your flat?
    Could the space serve as both parking and patio?

No area specified, (when does that ever happen? :rotfl:) but as it's a flat there's no permitted development and PP will be required

So my answer to the OP's question is: Would creating a 'rain garden' be feasible? Water has to go somewhere and people need to think about that first:
    https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/45/paving_your_front_garden

I'd suggest they take photos of what exists, speak to the local planning office and go from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure