We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Seeds which will be OK if I'm away for a month.

Options
Hi all,
I'm a longtime user but just in case anyone knows who I am, and where I live, I'm posting under a new name.

I will be away from end of July until almost end of August, with only a couple of days home in the middle.
I'm in the south east and won't have anyone able to access my garden to water anything.

I'd love to get some more seeds in (all of the veg seed packets say to sow every few weeks) but I'm not sure what would survive for 2 weeks without watering.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Maybe look at some capilliary matting ?
    https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-5-pack-capillary-matting/p/0447671

Though personally I'd wait until I got back for the sort of stuff it sounds like you might be sowing (salady stuff maybe) - for me it wouldn't be worth the hassle

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Rayray1000
    Options
    Is it worth doing anything like peas or beans? I sowed loads and while my beans have all germinated, only one pea has appeared.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry, just re-read your post. For some reason I read/assumed seedlings indoors (I'm blaming the steroids as usual). Peas & beans outdoors - I'd leave it in the lap of the gods. Maybe give them a good soak before you go depending on the long forecast, and prep some supports to cater for the month's growth while you're gone

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,344 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would expect most established plants to be fine unless there is a complete heatwave and dry spell - and if you lose some seeds it isn't a great loss. Cabbages, carrots, potatoes... anything farmers grow in open fields.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Rayray1000
    Rayray1000 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the advice.
    I was thinking of outdoors. I suppose actually that if I sowed seeds just before I went for the first two weeks that they would probably just be peeking their wee heads up by the time I came back.
    That may be better than sowing them now and having them neglected in the hottest time.
    Good idea about farmers' fields too. Every time I water my garden I think about how my granda never watered his spuds. Mind you, in Norn Iron it rains almost every day so that would be why!
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can sow beans, squash and pumpkn, beetroot, kohlrabi next month, leeks, parsnips, kale [ net it to keep away butterflies], carrots etc. anything you can put in the ground that doesn't need constant picking.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Everything growing will be established by then, are there any particular seeds you are planning to sow outdoors in august?
  • Rayray1000
    Options
    Thanks Taff. Will go with that type of thing.
    Linda- there wasn't anything in particular i was wanting to do. I just have some things like sweetcorn, that say to sow outdoors in May. I just wondered if it would be a waste of time.
  • Rayray1000
    Options
    Thanks Taff.
    Linda , there wasn't anything in particular I wanted to plant in August. I just have things like sweetcorn that say to sow outdoors in May. I didn't want to waste them.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 May 2019 at 11:27AM
    Options
    This is a bit confusing. Seedlings need watering a lot, but if you sow stuff now they will be established plants by August and as long as it rains while you’re away, most stuff should be fine.

I wouldn’t sow seeds just before you go, but then there isn’t much you sow at that time anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure