We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Timber Sleepers Fixings

Options
I’m planning on using a single timber sleepers as a perimeter for a climbing frame playing area for my kids.

As I'm only going to use one length of timber sleepers all away round the perimeter will I need to use fixings to secure them together such as laying concrete as a foundation on the soil and placing the sleepers directly on top?

Also what sort of fixings (if any) do I use to secure a centre sleeper together some sort of galvanised strap of some sort?

Comments

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I presume that you are aware of what the sleepers were treated with ??
    If they are old railway sleepers they will be totally unsuitable for a children's play area.
    A Google search brings up all the reasons why you should not be using them.
    My opinion only of course
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Look for crossing timbers, which should be untreated Jarrah wood (when I last enquired)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As I'm only going to use one length of timber sleepers all away round the perimeter will I need to use fixings to secure them together such as laying concrete as a foundation on the soil and placing the sleepers directly on top?

No, they're heavy enough not to move, just sit them about an inch or two down.

Also what sort of fixings (if any) do I use to secure a centre sleeper together some sort of galvanised strap of some sort?

Big screw. Drill a pilot hole first, if they;re new sleepers they might split as they dry out though.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hang on, when you say a perimeter for a climbing frame, is the sleeper intended to steady this climbing frame with your galvanised thingy? If so, I wouldn't screw it into a non anchored sleeper.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Remember the toilet situation on older UK trains..
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the sleepers are to be buried mostly in the ground then they probably do not need to be fixed together.
    However if most of the sleeper is above ground you could secure each corner with Timberlok screw which come in various lengths, like these:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/fastenmaster-timberlok-self-countersunk-screws-black-6-3-x-200mm-12-pack/52728
    They are other similar makes and you may find cheaper then Screwfix elsewhere.
    For a straight edge connection you could use a couple of these on the bottom of the two sleepers.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/mending-plates-zinc-plated-76-x-16-x-10-pack/16034
    Or some 2x2 stakes banged into the earth on either side of the sleepers.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When I had landscaping down several years ago, I think something like twenty-four sleepers were used.
    I certainly avoid sitting or kneeling on them - as at some points creosote seeps through.

Previously, there were log-roll supported borders, that had rotted and collapsed. Along the borders they are mostly one sleeper high, but have spur coming across at the end of the patio and start of the lawn which is two sleepers high - secured by long screws.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 May 2019 at 3:59PM
    Options
    You don't have to buy creosoted re-cycled sleepers, you can buy new treated softwood sleepers or new untreated oak or larch/douglas fir sleepers.
    Or these, for example, re-cycled but untreated hardwood:
    https://www.uksleepers.co.uk/product/Untreated_Reclaimed_Tropical_Azobe_Hardwood_Sleepers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure