Repaying full journey

Should they refund the lot?
I bought a split ticket, the journey was delayed meaning I missed the final connection and was Taxied home. the train company has only offered to refund the cost of one portion. I thought they were supposed to refund the lot.

Comments

• marmite1979
    marmite1979 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    They keep referring to only one leg even though I have given photographs, have sent them a PDF of the transactions and explained what occurred.
    My whole return train journey was by Virgin Trains the delay meant I missed my TFW service meaning I travelled home by taxi arranged by TFW.
    They agreed to refund only one portion of the split I believe they are eligible for the full fare.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    London50 wrote: »

I can't see the relevance of that link to the OPs question?

Looks like the train operator is doing what Ryanair and co do for delayed flights, treating the connection as a separately ticketed point to point journey for which they are not responsible. I guess you were lucky that TFW didn't take the same attitude, as the delay to your previous journey wasn't their responsibility

You might be better advised to go on the RailUK forum and ask the questions there.
  • marmite1979
    harz99 wrote: »
    I can't see the relevance of that link to the OPs question?

Looks like the train operator is doing what Ryanair and co do for delayed flights, treating the connection as a separately ticketed point to point journey for which they are not responsible. I guess you were lucky that TFW didn't take the same attitude, as the delay to your previous journey wasn't their responsibility

You might be better advised to go on the RailUK forum and ask the questions there.

He's posted a relevant explanation on refunds to split ticket.
    And lucky?? Why?? It's VT that got lucky as I could of changed at the original station and have made them fork out for an even dearer taxi, I could have bought an A-B ticket and have a bigger compensation claim.
    VT were responsible for me missing my final connection at each point trains could have connected, I was unable to complete the journey by train, the guard arranged the taxis by phoning the station ahead to book them(They actually hailed them outside) and advised all passengers to claim.
    I don't use RailUk as the threads all end being ruined with Trainspotters arguing the toss over minor details that are irrelevant. I hope this place isn't likewise.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    He's posted a relevant explanation on refunds to split ticket.
    And lucky?? Why?? It's VT that got lucky as I could of changed at the original station and have made them fork out for an even dearer taxi, I could have bought an A-B ticket and have a bigger compensation claim.
    VT were responsible for me missing my final connection at each point trains could have connected, I was unable to complete the journey by train, the guard arranged the taxis by phoning the station ahead to book them(They actually hailed them outside) and advised all passengers to claim.
    I don't use RailUk as the threads all end being ruined with Trainspotters arguing the toss over minor details that are irrelevant. I hope this place isn't likewise.

Your choice, but you'll get far better advice there than on here.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Did they pay for the taxi? Presumably they did if you were "taxied home", and you want a refund as well. Sorry if I've misunderstood.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,518 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Did they pay for the taxi? Presumably they did if you were "taxied home", and you want a refund as well. Sorry if I've misunderstood.

The OP is merely getting what they are entitled to.

I have done similar. Taxi home and refund, which was very welcome as it was two first class tickets.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    daveyjp wrote: »
    The OP is merely getting what they are entitled to.

I have done similar. Taxi home and refund, which was very welcome as it was two first class tickets.

And people complain about the cost of train tickets. There's "entitled" and just not being satisfied with a solution which, on the face of it, sounds pretty good.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,518 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 11 May 2019 at 9:13PM
    And people complain about the cost of train tickets. There's "entitled" and just not being satisfied with a solution which, on the face of it, sounds pretty good.

£50 for a first class single is very good value.

Passengers don't make the rules.

I claimed for what I was entitled to after a change of London terminal, a change of route and a change of operator meaning a poorer first class service than I paid for and an arrival 3 hours later than it should have been.
  • marmite1979

I can guarantee you the TOCS will be getting there full whack out of the incidents and will be profiteering out of it as many passengers will not bother claiming.
    If they don't like the rules of the game they either shouldn't make ones that allows me to claim for the delay, or they need to start running a Train Company that doesn't give me cause to claim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure