PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Wednesday 8th May 2019

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 8 May 2019 at 6:25AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Wednesday 8th May 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one, those who are poorly, and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Cloudy, damp and chilly here this morning, damp underfoot and forecast is for rain most of today.

DH and DS1 getting ready for work, I'm showered, dressed and enjoying first cuppa and porridge whilst on here. DS2 settled and ok.

Dinner last night was sausages, mash, veg, onion and gravy. I remembered to get the chicken out to defrost, that's now in the fridge, I need to think what we may have with it. I also was given some fresh HG rhubarb, so spent some time once I'd got the dinner sorted and pack ups made making a rhubarb crumble, cooked it and no-one wanted any! It'll get portioned up and put in the freezer if no-one fancies it at the moment - but the rhubarb didn't get left to go off and then thrown in the bin.

Yesterday as I thought we were manic most of the day, today is likely to be some of the same, but it's a short week so at the end of the day, I'll be on days' off until Monday. I will have a "to do" list as always for my days' off from tomorrow.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning everyone and thank you for starting today's thread nmlc.

I'm having a lovely quiet cup of tea, the first one of the day is the best one, for me.

Today is a busy day, a phone interview and later I'm meant to be going for a walk with a friend - at present it is pouring with rain so am hoping that the rain stops before the afternoon. If not, we might just go for coffee and cake. We have been colleagues and friends for 34 years.

I'm packing away gradually, the move is a week away so no big rush and we can do it over a 3 day overlap period.

Thinking of those of us who are worried, sad or unwell.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all

It's overcast this morning with more rain promised. I think we had our summer at Easter!

We had a fantastic time in The Hague at the weekend, laughed from start to finish, walked for miles and ate well. There may have been some refreshments taken along the way too! Apart from being cold and windy the weather wasn't too bad, some showers but some sunshine too.

Washing all up to date, it's a bit of a struggle getting it dry at the moment.

Hugs to those with worries, enjoy Wednesday if you can. Take care xx
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Its pouring down here and set in for the day I think its cold too it looks very wintery out there.

Work for me today and noisy chap is in today :( he will not stop talking from the second he gets there and will still be going as he walks out the door, all in a very loud voice :eek:

Going to do some bake cod tonight with some prawns and chorizo with some jersey royals and asparagus, will wing it a bit with the cod as there is no recipe so will make it up as I go along I hope its ok :rotfl:

Specky I think its your holiday today hope you have a fab time xx

Have good days all xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,695 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Wet here too and forecast to get wetter as the day progresses.

Nice meet up with my buddy yesterday and, as usual, I had the broccoli cheese bake, salad and garlic bread for lunch. I am getting boring but I do so enjoy it!

Today I am gallivanting with my bus buddies. Today we are off to Ilkley. Not my choice 'cos, as far as I am concerned, although Ilkley is a nice little town the only reason to go is the M & S Food! Otherwise it's just expensive charity shops and expensive high end fashion shops. But we will enjoy a nice late lunch and wine as usual before heading back home.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for all in need/want of them. SILVER-OLDIE I was thinking of you yesterday and hope it wasn't too stressful and upsetting for you. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning, and it's a wet and cold morning here, brr.

Hope you enjoy your day out TA, despite the weather.
    Glad you enjoyed your break Camelot.
    Gers, that's encouraging news about your Mum.

Silver-Oldie, hope you are ok, I've been thinking about you.

Yesterday we had Dgs for most of the day, he really is a little sweetheart. He's at that lovely age of discovering everything, though we do move some things before he arrives, some stuff we don't want him to discover!!

Last night we went to our local Resident's Association meeting, where I took the minutes, then it was our usual Tuesday quiz.

Today it'll just be doing things round the house, and I'll nip to the Post office with a birthday card for youngest of the 3 Dgs in Oz.

Thinking of everyone who is sad or poorly
    Take care folks xx
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off nmlc

I'm glad yesterday is behind me, some how registering and talking about the funeral makes it 'real', probably that sounds silly. Celebrant was lovely. As if I hadn't done enough I also phoned Tell Us One, hopefully that should stop her pension etc, now need to contact her bank. Tried before but they couldn't do anything before I had death certificate.
    I feel exhausted
    Thank you for all you kind thoughts, they really do mean so much.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all! I do believe yesterday was a productive day. Took all remaining paint off porch facing the outside and some from the inside, managed to crack a pane of glass because I initially had the heat gun on the wrong setting, but seeing as that glass has been in there for nearly 80 years, it hasn't done badly, and I was intending to replace it with double glazed units anyway. Today I will be removing the wood that holds the glass in place, measuring the glass and then seeing what it would cost to get the units. This means I can change the edging to just plain square, which will look more modern and be much less of a faff to paint ever again...

I sowed beans, squash, cucumbers and a second lot of aubergines [ first lot did nothing at all, too cold I expect], and took the new compost bin out of the car. Currently, it's three pallets held together with fabric and cable ties, so I got a bolt together type from FB for 4 quid, it looks unused, and it's a lot neater than pallets, and cheap...really really cheap...:) might be better to speed up the compost too because it has a lid to stop it getting wet, and it's fairly well insulated so it'll retain the warmth..I hope.

SO, virtual more supportive hugs, no, it doesn't sound silly. Sounds normal. Enjoy M&S food TA..AOD, moving is still bloody stressful though so supportive hugs for you too. Glad you had a nice time camelot. Nelski, are you on a commuter highway somewhere or ensconced in a car park gourmet experience? Hey Holly, how you doing? Hugs and shrugs for everyone...
    Wotcha MIAs
    Wet Wednesday...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc and hugs to all those in need.

I'm slowly recovering from yesterday, cooking for 30 is ok but on a domestic cooker it's a bit of a juggling act.

It's raining here but we have no plans apart from housework and dog visiting, he came through his surgery ok and will get extra cuddles today.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • topsyturphy
    topsyturphy Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone

Very wet here today, just got back from walking the dogs, realised I need new walking boots as my feet were soaked. Will look at some - just need some that are waterproof and will last. My old ones lasted 8 years.

Got the lawn cut yesterday, washing done, soup made for lunches and kitchen cleaned. Need to sort out my wardrobe as youngest step daughter & sil are moving in temporarily to save for a deposit for a house/flat. I will lose half my space so need to clear out what I don’t wear or get rid of what doesn’t fit. Need to get the vacuuming done as well. So much for days off. Although I am taking the morning off to go to my craft group.

RR - Shame you cant wear ear plugs
    Silver oldie - thinking of you.
    Taff - reading what you accomplish - puts me to shame
    TA - enjoy your day

Hugs to anyone that needs/wants one. Take care and enjoy your day.
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    A damp one here too so that involved a big towel for the hound dog once we got back in.Don't think I'll be going out again until it's time to pick DGS up.Messes up DH plan to brick up the current back door in DB + SIL kitchen too.
    I am going to make a Thai chicken curry for tea.Yesterdays cottage pies went down well,they were the last of a batch cook so need to do some more soon.
    My best friend emailed yesterday,we were going to meet up this week but someone pulled out on her on Sunday and her car is quite badly damaged.She will get a courtesy car but wants to potter first before driving on the motorway to come here. She and her DH are going away towards the end of next week so we may not manage a lunch before that,just have to wait and see.
    I noticed I had a missed call from my cousin yesterday afternoon ( probably when I was ironing upstairs,my mob was downstairs ) so I'll be returning that in a bit.Hope all is well as another cousin had been trying to get hold of our step uncle,he is getting on for 80 but thinks he can still do things a 40 yr old can do :eek:
    SO, hope you can rest up a bit today now you have done the things you were dreading,bless you.
    AOD,having moved several times in the last few years, it definitely helps having a few days overlap instead of trying to do it all in 1 mad day:eek:

Right off to do a bit of tidying,hope it's a good day for you all x
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure