We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Veg in the front garden

Options
2»

Comments

• trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Loads of great ideas, thank everyone.

Today I finally had the time and the weather to get started. I'm now the proud possessor of a rhubarb plant (in pride of place by the front door!! It was the only space big enough for it to spread, and also, as it's by the front door and next to the path, handy for picking whatever the weather. I bought 10 little strawberry plants, and put them straight into the borders. I may regret it, as they may get attacked by slugs - but it isn't a very sluggy garden and I've not lost any plants to slugs in the past, so fingers crossed I get away with it!!

I have a couple of under-used hanging baskets, so the next step is to see if I can make use of them. I'll definitely look into trailing tomatoes!! I'm also going to think about which herbs I actually use, and plant them in pots by the kitchen door. I've tried before, but not very successfully (I think the top of my wall where the pots are is a bit windy), so might have to re-think the location. The patio is a bit of a sun-trap, so maybe there instead.

One step at a time!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport