We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Seeding a new lawn

Options
01afraser4
01afraser4 Posts: 130 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Afternoon everyone

Since purchasing my first home in 2017, I have seriously neglected the garden to the extent that the lawn is bare, compacted and patchy with moss.

I've taken the decision to seed a new lawn from scratch as a) it will provide me with some much needed gardening experience and b) saving for a wedding means I cannot afford to contract someone to do it for me!

What I'd like to do is set out my plan and I'd appreciate it if anyone could add any insight or correct me if what I'm proposing is wildly wrong.

So, from online research I've put together the list of actions needed as follows:

1. Remove any leaves and moss/thatch from the existing lawn
2. Use a garden fork to turn over the soil removing any weeds and larger stones as I go
3. Lightly tread on the soil and fill in any uneven spots
4. Lightly rake the soil and then tread again
5. Add the new lawn seed at approx. 35g per square metre according to product instructions(tough/hard wearing seed)
6. Keep the top layer of soil moist by watering if needed (hot conditions)
7. Wait and do not mow the new lawn until grass is approx. 3 inches

Is there anything that I have missed? The grass seed that I purchased mentioned that I should rake in a fertiliser prior to seeding but is this strictly necessary as other online guides don't always mention it.

Any help is appreciated as I am well and truly inexperienced when it comes to gardening.

Thanks.

Comments

• SunMoonStars
    SunMoonStars Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

Yes you definitely should rake in some general purpose fertiliser, something like Growmore, at around 70g/m2, before seeding.

I would be mindful that the soil has been damaged by compaction as this needs remedying, otherwise you are likely to end up with the same compacted lawn with the same problems. It will cost a little but will probably save time and money in the long run. It is difficult to say without knowing the soil type, but digging in some organic matter such as well-rotted manure or compost will open up the soil, and will also help retain moisture too - drought tolerance is important these days - and ideally allow the ground to settle for up to two months once levelled. Sharp sand can open up a claggy clay soil.

The RHS has some sound advice on all of this https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=424

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family