We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Pear tree problem

Options
Green3
Green3 Posts: 66 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
My pear tree used to give lots of sweet fruits every year. But now it is completely bare without a single leaf or flower. How do I sort this out?

Comments

• Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    To quote Daftyduck’s post from your apple tree query a couple of years ago...
    Daftyduck wrote:
    If the tree has no leaves and no fruit..... it is unlikely to revive. It has ceased to be.......

Although it may be too early in the year to be certain of that. I have an apple tree that has never borne fruit and is just one of many trees in a hedgerow but it doesn’t come into leaf until late May every year. Each year I forget just how late it is and wonder if it has died. However, I am about 600 miles north of you, so all things gardening are somewhat later!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,321 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If OP apple tree ceased to be, and it seems the pear may also have gone to the big compost heap in the sky perhaps time to consider something in the soil?
    Honey fungus?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My old apple tree died sometime last year, I think due to a combination of the beast from the east, the long hot summer & honey fungus. It didn't leaf last spring, but I left any action to this spring just in case. If it's dead then the bark will be coming off probably and the wood will be brittle, branches drooping/shrunk (due to lack of sap in them - that was the final sign for me)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My pear tree is suffering from last years heat wave. Over 10kg of pears the previous year. Last years were sparse and bland, tree didnt look well also with spotted leaves and curled leaves.

Shame because it did so well for many years. maybe time to cut it down and give it time before replacing it, or maybe one in a tub for a few years?

Probably should not plant another in the same ground so soon.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure