🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Holiday insurance queries

Options
We're need holiday insurance for 3 weeks and can't find an answer to a questions I have. If you are travelling as a family do we have to take family cover or can we take out individual policies. The online quotes we have looked at asks - Who is travelling in your party?

And only gives choice of a couple,a single parent a family with children up to 17. We have a 19 year old as well ??

We are also looking for an travel insurance that doesn't need to cover cancellation, baggage loss, , repatriation etc. as we will be staying with family so are looking for mainly accident and medical cover not related to pre existing conditions- anyone recommend a company that would do a very basic cover.

Comments

• Mark_Bedford
    Mark_Bedford Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know the answer to the first part BUT if you are looking for accident and medical cover you need repatriation as part of it. What happens if you are injured badly in South America or Thailand. Furthermore, what happens if you are even injured in Spain. A broken neck....how are you going to get back unless they leave you for MONTHS until you can come back economy....what happens if you have a stroke and the best place for you is treatment in the UK as the doctors will likely tell you.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's fine to take out an individual policy for grown-up children if you want to, or if they're not covered by a family policy.

Medical cover generally accounts for the bulk of the cost of travel insurance, so there would be little saving in buying a policy which excluded cancellation, baggage etc even if you could find one. In practice I suspect that any saving would be outweighed by the extra cost to the insurer of running a whole extra type of policy which would only appeal to a fairly small number of people - which is why they're not routinely sold. If you want to cut costs you could look at a budget policy which has a large excess and/or a low cover limit.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,016 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Michelle4 wrote: »
    We're need holiday insurance for 3 weeks and can't find an answer to a questions I have. If you are travelling as a family do we have to take family cover or can we take out individual policies. The online quotes we have looked at asks - Who is travelling in your party?

The main difference may be on what happens if one of the party falls ill or unable to make the holiday for any other reason - an individual policy may only cover the person who is ill, whilst a family policy could cover all of the party if it was decided that the whole holiday should be abandoned / cancelled for everyone.

So you need to think about what you would want to do in these types of scenario.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aretnap wrote: »
    It's fine to take out an individual policy for grown-up children if you want to, or if they're not covered by a family policy.

Medical cover generally accounts for the bulk of the cost of travel insurance, so there would be little saving in buying a policy which excluded cancellation, baggage etc even if you could find one. In practice I suspect that any saving would be outweighed by the extra cost to the insurer of running a whole extra type of policy which would only appeal to a fairly small number of people - which is why they're not routinely sold. If you want to cut costs you could look at a budget policy which has a large excess and/or a low cover limit.

I believe you’d find with separate policies that if one of the grown up children was ill then, it won’t pay for others to remain.

If you buy a family policy and someone is ill then it will pay for hotels and flights for someone to stay if required.

Separate policies and you can’t expect to be treated as a group.

I would get it as a family.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The 19 year old isn't covered on a family holiday- only children up to aged 17.

Would a group policy not apply?
  • Michelle4
    Michelle4 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you, probably best way forward is a group policy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport