We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Pruning leylandi trees

Options
loulou41
loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
Any idea how much it will cost to prune 5 leylandi trees? Removing about 24ins from the top. These types of leylandi are bare at the bottom with a few branches at the top. Last time they were pruned many yrs ago you could still the stump at the top very unsightly and this is an ideal for pigeons to rest. I was hoping the branches would cover them but doubt it. Am seeking the advice of a tree surgeon? Husband does not want to spend a lot of money? Thanks

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,077 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Angle the cut on the widest trunks to deter pigeons and so the rain falls off rather than sits on the top to prevent rotting. If you leave the height of the greener branches above that of the trunk tops it should be obscured.

Pruning annually will encourage greenery.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm not up on costs of Leylandii tree surgery, I would get 3 quotes and take it from there.

A proper tree surgeon will explain how pruning this tree works because cut into a woody part and it won't regenerate (some other coniferous trees do, some don't) and you'll be left with a woody tree with bits of foliage here and there.

If you feel this tree will end up looking like that consider growing something like Clematis 'montana' through it, this will clothe the dead, woody areas.

I'm doing this very thing in my garden.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Most people would advocate 'pruning' them about 10 cm from the ground and growing something else. :)

I used to send one of my children up to do this job every year or so, but our trees were kept at around 12', so not too difficult. I agree it's easy enough on smaller trees to take out the leading shoot first and prune the others to hide that cut.
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just had six 7 metre high leylandii completely removed and 12 pruned down to 4 metres (taking 3m off) this came to £580 so I can't imagine pruning two foot off the top of five trees would cost much at all.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Something odd about this... 24 inches of growth, but last pruning was many years ago? ...are you sure it’s a Leylandii? :)
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    Something odd about this... 24 inches of growth, but last pruning was many years ago? ...are you sure it’s a Leylandii? :)

It is not a leylandi my mistake. It is a type of conifers bald at the bottom with branches at the top. The tree surgeon visited and advised to have them removed completely at a cost of £280 in bucks. To reduce the height by removing 24 ins will cost £170. Price reasonable would rather have them removed but husband against it. He did say once the heights have been reduced they are not going to look nice, will be left with only a few branches hanging out. I have booked him to just reducing the heights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure