PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily 4th May 2019

Options
This is is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Comments

• snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Where is everybody?

Lovely day here although it's supposed to be a bit chilly. Steve's still in bed, the pattern seems to be that he feels tired and sickly the first week after chemo and then picks up till the next round. Still, when I remember the nightmare month after the first round I am amazed at how well he's been.

We might see Laura and Brian this weekend or we might not. They are car shopping so they might come up here to see what's available. Laura has her heart set on a hybrid and living in London that makes sense for them. They've never bought a car before (Brian didn't pass his test until October and we gave Laura her old car) and they need to get rid of the car they have by the 15th when the MOT runs out.

We are planning to go away in the camper van for the first time this year on Monday so it needs a bit of prep this weekend.
  • FunkyFairy
    FunkyFairy Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Been a few years since I posted on the site! I need to get back into the OS ways as my bills are getting out of hand. So I thought I would start here again as I have found it so helpful in the past.

Lovely and sunny here at the moment, but I know that’s going to change later today. Plans for today are to do a freezer and cupboard audit and make a meal plan based on what I find. What’s everyone else up to today?
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,700 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 May 2019 at 9:35AM
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks SNOOZER. A glorious start here too but not forecast to get above 10 deg all day. So the clouts are still not getting cast just yet!

After a few stressful mornings with the DGDs sleeping and to get organised for school, plus one thing and another to worry about, I thought I would have a lazy start this morning. It seems everyone else! has the same idea! Instead of my usual quick shower I thought I would have a lazy soak in the bath for a change. Followed by a leisurely brekkie. DW just loaded and another coffee in hand.

I look like a street urchin this morning. Hairdresser came as planned yesterday and she was in scissor happy mode! I like my hair short but this is short short! Oh well it will soon grow.

I made a pan of Lentil & Bacon soup yesterday as I was itching to try out the soup freezer bags I got from Lakeland. I am impressed as they take up less room than the tubs I have been using. A bit pricey but they are washable and reusable.

No plans for today as yet. If the banging and drilling next door resumes I might get the bus to town and then onwards somewhere else. If all remains quiet I shall just have a lazy day reading and watching tv. I feel lethargic after a busy few days.

SO I was disgusted to read how you have been messed about before you could make an appointment with the Registrar. There is no excuse. When I lost Bob (on a Saturday) I had the paperwork and my appointment with the Registrar within 4 days (on the Tuesday). I phoned the Tell us Once number she gave us first thing next morning. It saves quite a few phone calls.

Have a good day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) as always for all in need of them. Thinking of you all, plus all the MIA. Take care all xx

Welcome to the Daily Funky Fairy!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,092 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

It's a chilly start to the bank holiday weekend. There was a short and very sharp burst of hail yesterday, it made a terrific noise when it hit the car. Already there's been snow at the top of The Rest.

DM is now making slow progress, it seems she's pulled herself together and determined to live. She's asked for day clothes and even requested more food be brought in. Perhaps fish and chips is the wonder medicine!

I've had a very busy couple of days dashing about the place doing / getting things for DM. A friend is going in today so I have a day off.

TA - it was such a relief to read that you 'enjoyed' the hospice event. I was worried about it for you.

snoozer - another good report, well done to you both for getting through the tough times.

I hope that everyone has a happy Saturday.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Its a lovely bright day here but a tad chilly ! I have my work clothes in the wm and a towel load to go in after, OH will do his later.

I need to get a few bits from the shops today so will see if dd wants to come shopping. I think we are planning on a bbq tonight so will get some bits for that might do a fish based one tonight. May light the new outsidelog burner :D

I need to borrow or buy a pressure washer a flock of birds must have been over as the shed patio and conservatory roof are covered in bird poop :eek: its everywhere !!

TA hope you get your restful day xx

Gers glad mum has had a upward turn xx

SO thinking of you xx

Have good days all xx
  • Gintotmelinda
    Gintotmelinda Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all. Bright and breezy here. John and DS have gone out for bteakfast. I have just finished my second coffee.

No plans for today. John's friend came over unexpectedly yesterday and stayed to lunch. They then went off to buy some of those big srrong paper sacks for grass clippings. The council collcts them fortnightly.

Snoozer enjoy your trip. Gers fish and chips sounds good medicine to me!

Hugs to all and I hope you find someting to enjoy in your day.

Jane
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all
    Gosh it is quiet on here !
    I have a "to do" list as long as my arm for today, but I shall meander through it as things take my fancy. The only thing that "needs " doing is changing the bedding. That's already done and the bedding will get to blow on the whirly as it is very windy and cold here, but at least the sun is shining. I don't know how far I can get with my list before I run out of steam, but I shall give it my best shot. Mr Fix it has disappeared to the shed as it's "very messy"......... a likely story, but it does get him out from under my feet :rotfl:.
    I don't know what to have for tea tonight, maybe something involving the leftover gammon joint.

FunkyFairy nice to "meet" you.
    Nelski I don't use the meat van to it's full potential as we don't eat a lot of meat, but Mr Fix It loves the black pudding that he sells, plus he always greets me with " Hello young lady ". ( I think he's at least 10yrs younger than me :eek: ) so he gets my vote :D. The meat man I mean.....not Mr Fix It !!:rotfl:.
    TA enjoy your day in or out and I hope you can find some time to put your feet up.
    JackieO could you ever slow down ? I do hope so if only to bring that BP down. Take care and enjoy your time in Bath.

I hope all the poorly people are on the slow road to recovery and I shall send hugs to everyone who is struggling, for whatever reason.
    Special thoughts go to Holly, Poppy, taff etc.

Take care all and enjoy the BH weekend.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good Morning chums and a sunny but breezy day here in Kent. Handy though as I did a wash load this morning and its now dancing away on my washing line so hopefully it will be ironed and put away by tonight I hate going away and leaving stuff in the washing basket,bad enough when you are bringing it home from a trip.

Youngest DD popped in last night on the way home from work and we had a long natter.I have agreed to slow down a bit (hopefully at least ) as it will keep her happy and slight change of diet etc will hopefully help as well. Just awaiting eldest DDs nag as she is due to nip round this morning for a cuppa and a natter as well,so I will then have had both DDs 'serious chats ' :):):) I will agree with all they say and probably take a bit on board ,but it is hard when you have always been one for dashing hither and thither to slow down I forget I think that I am in my 70s and not my 30s :) but I just seem to have so many things to do .My late OH always said I was like the white rabbit in Alice in Wonderland always rushing around :):). I intend to try and cut back on a few things if I can though,if only to keep the family happy. I just love the challenge of a new day and I am definitely not the sort of Granma to sit in the corner rocking :):):)Well not in a chair anyway :)

Today though after I have packed my grip for Mondays trip I am going to be feet up and a bit of knitting and watch a film from my TiVo box as I know there are some on there that I recorded last summer and just not had time to watch.

Gers your DM certainly seems to have perked up with the fish and chips excellent news :) should be on prescription I think :)

nannywindow I have a to-do list as long as my arm ,but I am going to go through it and see if I can get it down to a 'possibly to-do' list and cut unnecessary stuff out if I can :)

The only definite I have to do today is a little bit of ironing (and it will be a little as its only going to be what really needs doing ,what I can get away with folding or hanging on a hanger I will

Sadly I have to cut out hard cheese from my diet, but I shall just have soft low fat instead, not perhaps as nice, but needs must when the Dr drives.

Right its 11.00 so I had better get the kettle on s Dd will be here shortly, have a good weekend and try to stay warm and dry I saw on the news that Scotland had some snow !!! roll on the summer

Take care chums

JackieO xxx
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all, I am meant to be doing stuff so I've had a lovely bath instead. I've taken some books to the cs but lots more to go. This still leaves me with an awful lot of books that I want to keep and this is only recent, the main book collection is in storage,. I have jettisoned some odds and ends of makeup, I hardly ever wear it and it is probably unsafe to use after a while.

I will try to motivate self.

OH has just brought me a cup of tea that was quite ok until I got to the bottom of the cup, when it started to taste of paint, no idea what happened there unless he is fed up with me and trying to poison me, unlikely really as he'd have to drag the body downstairs round a bend in the stairs. I imagine murder is possibly lots easier at ground floor level. Fewer complexities in terms of disposal, you can tell I've been watching Line of Duty.

I am having fish for dinner and they are having great lumps of meat.

Best wishes to those who are struggling. Thinking of SO.

Gers, nice to read that your DM is feeling more positive.

I am likely to be a patchy poster for the next ten days or so and then unsure about wifi in the new place. I find my phone quite small for proper posting.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    Options
    Good afternoon all. It's bright and windy here, but cold.
    Hi, FunkyFairy.

I've got a line of washing out, hope it dries. Then it'll be the never ending ironing. I've been going through clothes and have now got a largish bag for the CS, even Dh joined in and got rid of one or two things.

There aren't any particular plans here, may go out tomorrow, I think it has to be the best day of the Bank Holiday weekend.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing ok,

Take care folks xx

Glad
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills