IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Equita ltd

Options
Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice.

We moved into our first home two years ago, we started getting mail for the old occupier that we ignored. We of course let them know, but then the letters increased.

I was at work one day and my partner phoned me up in a panic saying the bailiffs have just been around, wanting to take away goods. She obviously had to try and show them she was not the debtor, she eventually had to show the mortgage deeds. They backed off then. But we opened up the letters and they are parking invoices etc. There was two for the Dartford Crossing and one for the congestion charge. We obviously told the old occupier what happened, who apologised and she said she can't understand how it happened as they have her address. BS! :mad: they got your address from the driving license which clearly hasn't been changed to your new address. She's been very flippant about it all, which has infuriated us.

We then recieved a couple more letters in the last week. One of these is from Equita for a large debt. They're threatening enforcement action. The other one is another invoice for a very recent parking invoice.

Can we contact them and say she doesn't live here etc and NOT to instruct bailiffs to come around and to give her area she lives in? My partner is understandably worried. Are they just bullying people into paying or can they actually visit?

I did do a search about Equita but struggled to find any answers. (It was only a quick look as I was rather tired when I looked)

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you have trouble with bailiffs (even though you’re not the people responsible for the root of the problem), you might be best served in dealing with them by making contact with 'Bailiff Advice Online'. Sheila, who provides this excellent service, has an extremely good reputation for assisting people with bailiff issues.

Calls and the email enquiry service are free.

Here's your link:

http://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk

Sheila also posts on MSE as 'Herbie21'

HTH
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    BS! they got your address from the driving license which clearly hasn't been changed to your new address.
    No they got the address from the log book registered with the DVLA, not driving licence.

Definitely ask for help from BailiffAdviceOnline, and yes I would do this:
    We then recieved a couple more letters in the last week. One of these is from Equita for a large debt. They're threatening enforcement action. The other one is another invoice for a very recent parking invoice.

Can we contact them and say she doesn't live here etc and NOT to instruct bailiffs to come around and to give her area she lives in?
    My partner is understandably worried. Are they just bullying people into paying or can they actually visit?
    Bailiffs can visit re any case that has gone through court (not a recent parking invoice). You need them to know they have her old address and the residents have nothing to do with these matters.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Mobey
    Mobey Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help both, much appreciated. It's sorted with the debt collectors but not the other one.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Can we contact them and say she doesn't live here etc and NOT to instruct bailiffs to come around and to give her area she lives in?

Of course you can, but do it in writing. Give them the full new address and they should not trouble you again.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure