My local post office to close in busy urban area

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
19 replies 1.1K views
littlerocklittlerock Forumite
1.8K posts
1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
My local post office is on a busy main road, in a busy row of shops, opposite the railway station and a high street Tescos, in a prosperous urban area. There are offices nearby and a recording studio. It has a collection area for Amazon parcels next to the counter and a couple of computer screens by the entrance.

It offers a full range of counter services. Whenever I go in there, it is always busy and there are always long queues for the postal counter.

Now it is closed up with a notice on the door saying they have shut because they cannot make ends meet. Anyone know why this should be in a busy urban post office. It has never seemed under threat from closure by the Post Office itself.

Replies

• EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    4.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bad management?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • spadooshspadoosh Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could be a plethora of reasons including none which come under the category of not being able to make ends meet. By the sounds of it though, sounds like poor management.
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    because there aint much money in postal services?
  • KeithPKeithP Forumite
    21.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is this thread in the In My Home board?
  • Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    11.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    busy is not a synonym for profitable
    37.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy_L wrote: »
    busy is not a synonym for profitable

PO I know outside Edinburgh. Affluent area and busy local shop/PO/hub. Been in the family for decades.
    PO operation closes this month.
    2 POs in nearby small towns have closed meaning their PO is busier than ever.
    In the words of the owner,'not worth the grief'. PO space will be replaced by a hot food operation.
  • icic Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my local area there were five post offices, three have closed and the other two have been replaced by counters in nearby newsagents - these are actually more convenient as they have car parks and are open longer hours.

Post offices just can't stand on their own any more, given most stuff can be done online. Most of the tat like stationery and cards that post offices traditionally sold to give themselves a retail presence is available at the big supermarkets.

There was talk of closing the local sorting office too, moving it to the town centre office, but after a local public outcry and involvement by councillors and the MP that's been canned. I'm sure they'll try again in three or four years time.
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, have a look at how people who run post offices have been treated by The Post Office. The answer: As criminals in some cases. Google Horizon Post Office to see what's been happening. It's a scandal that the PO refuses to properly acknowledge. Private Eye have reported on it for years. It possible that the sub-postmaster who runs the branch has fallen victim to it or is so disenchanted with the system that s/he's closed up and left.
    37.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ic wrote: »
    In my local area there were five post offices, three have closed and the other two have been replaced by counters in nearby newsagents - these are actually more convenient as they have car parks and are open longer hours.

Post offices just can't stand on their own any more, given most stuff can be done online. Most of the tat like stationery and cards that post offices traditionally sold to give themselves a retail presence is available at the big supermarkets.

There was talk of closing the local sorting office too, moving it to the town centre office, but after a local public outcry and involvement by councillors and the MP that's been canned. I'm sure they'll try again in three or four years time.

Outcry only goes so far.
    Closing a DO makes MASSIVE savings.
    Staffing,managers,running costs.
    Even going beyond the DO,you have less trucks required to feed the mail in,so less drivers etc.
    Economies of scale mean more flexibility in the operation too.
    There wont be try. RM have shut/amalgamated loads of DOs and it will continue.
    37.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    littlerock wrote: »
    My local post office is on a busy main road, in a busy row of shops, opposite the railway station and a high street Tescos, in a prosperous urban area. There are offices nearby and a recording studio. It has a collection area for Amazon parcels next to the counter and a couple of computer screens by the entrance.

It offers a full range of counter services. Whenever I go in there, it is always busy and there are always long queues for the postal counter.

Now it is closed up with a notice on the door saying they have shut because they cannot make ends meet. Anyone know why this should be in a busy urban post office. It has never seemed under threat from closure by the Post Office itself.

Heres an insight. A PO I know and have been in a few times.
    VERY busy.
    separate foreign currency counter & 2 serving positions.
    relatively locally 2 po's have closed with another to close next week.
    This PO is packed most days and will continue to be.
    at least 3 staff plus manager
    'operation manager; for the PO has been up for a while

Yours for 17K a year
    It's an exciting time to join WHSmith as we are introducing new Post Offices across our High Street estate! As the Operations Manager, you'll be responsible for overseeing all aspects of Post Office activity within the branch. If you're looking for a new challenge and are a team motivator, apply today!
    Job Description

The Opportunity
    Are you an influential leader looking to play a key role in your branches success? We are looking for outstanding individuals used to working to challenging business objectives and managing budgets to join our team. Reporting into the Store Manager, you will be looking after a team where you will have previous experience of managing performance, from appraisals through to disciplinary.

The Accountabilities
    Create a customer service led culture which is always striving to improve performance
    Ensure all staff deliver a professional, friendly service to all customers
    Play an active role in the branch with the team
    Maximise opportunities to drive sales and increase footfall
    Ensure the branch is fully compliant with all current legislation and POL compliance and training requirements.
    Drive the team to achieve both individual and branch targets including sales, shrink, waste, cash loss and staff costs
    Work closely with the Store Manager to identify cost saving measures and sales opportunities through analysis of the Profit & Loss statement
    Support the Store Manager with employee lifecycle from recruitment to appraisals, training and disciplinary procedures.

The Requirements
    Proven retail experience in a management role
    Working knowledge of profit & loss accounts
    Previous experience of working to and achieving demanding targets within tight budgets
    Experience in supporting delivery of store objectives, including maximising sales and controlling shrink
    Coach and mentor the team to improve performance
    Leading by example and setting high standards for your team
    Format of Business

High Street Store
    Shift Pattern

Flexible - Not Including Nights
    Salary From

Salary To

Hours / Week

Full Time / Part Time

Full Time