Options / cost for redoing a garden

Options
Looking at buying a house with a garden covered with shale rock - has been this way when the current owner of 10 years has bought it. I'd like to get rid of that and have grass, plus some flower beds / little vegetable patch. What would need to happen and what sort of a cost are we talking?
I am assuming there are a few parts to this - get the shale out, remove top soil (or not needed?). Do I need new soil? Only for flowerbeds/veggie patch or grass too? Anything I hadn't thought of?

Comments

• tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Could be as easy as raking off the stone lifting the mypex weed fabric and mixing in some humus rich topsoil and then seeding or turfing a lawn, If your not wanting the stone cheapest way would be to offer it free to someone as long as they come remove it.
    Flip side if they have done a proper job and laid Mot sub base gravel it could be a big excavating job
  • SunnyCat
    SunnyCat Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tori.k thank you for a useful and comprehensive response! I hadn't even thought someone could want the stone - that is indeed a handy way to get rid of it.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Why miss off the two crucial bits of information?

Size and access?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SunnyCat wrote: »
    Tori.k thank you for a useful and comprehensive response! I hadn't even thought someone could want the stone - that is indeed a handy way to get rid of it.

Yeh Im sure you can find someone who would remove the stone and take it away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure