Kitchen ordering process

Hi,

I am looking at getting a new kitchen from Smidt. We gave the designer measurements we had taken ourselves, they've specced up the kitchen and we're happy with the design. However the manager of the store is saying we have to put down a 40% deposit (I'm pretty sure non-refundable) before they will send a builder round to do the precise measurements to see if the design actually fits, and to check if any additional work needs to be done (that we would then be required to pay for). Is this normal? It seems a bit iffy to me.

Thanks,

Fulby

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    No that's not normal. I wouldn't pay 40% before knowing what the actual total will be, they may find loads more work needs doing at loads more money.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 April 2019 at 8:51PM
    Hi Fulby

I think there are a couple of possible issues here.

40% As a deposit for a new kitchen is rather high. We require a 25% deposit so we can place the orders with our relevant suppliers, which, to be honest is non refundable because every one of our kitchens is made individually for all of our customers. But we would not request this deposit until the customer was in possession of all the costs!

I don’t think I have ever taken a full deposit until I have visited the customer’s home and measured everything myself.

It sounds a bit odd to be honest that they want to send a builder round to check the measurements. Are you extending your home and moving / enlarging your kitchen space? Or are you just replacing your existing kitchen and no need for a builder to knock a wall down or anything?

If I were you I wouldn’t pay a deposit until you know what all the costs are going to be including the fitting and all room preparation costs, including any new electrics and plumbing etc.

Please PM me if you want a chat.

CK
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Is there a reason why the kitchen company do not take their own measurements as standard before drawing up plans, giving a quote,and making the kitchen?

I can see their point TBH, tiny mis measurements will cause mayhem for them, so I have always gone (well twice so far!) for a company that will measure, design, fit, take away the old kitchen and do everything like electrics, plumbing, tiling and so on.

It is too big a risk for a company to accept the client's own measurements IMV. And anyway, if the company measures it's their call if it doesn't work out.

I do understand your point about the deposit being non refundable, but I would only accept that if the company took full responsibility for everything.

Best of luck. Will be doing a kitchen refurb soon, and tbh am dreading it!
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ah, that's an old trick...

They will draw a plan of the kitchen using an incorrect scale, maybe 33% out. So they will work out the cost of the kitchen units that will fit in a kitchen two thirds the size of yours.

Of course, when correct size is used, your kitchen costs 50% more.
  • Fulby
    Fulby Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thanks for the quick and helpful replies everyone, definitely sounds like I should be wary.
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    A non-refundable fee for their time spent visiting, measuring up, drawing detailed plans would be fine. But 40% is unreasonable for giving just a quote.

Unless of course the 40% is a fixed price quote, with no margin for the final total to change.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure