PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to prove I sold a house

Options
Hi,

I am buying a flat in Gibraltar where they have very strong anti money laundering laws. They want to know where the money is coming from to buy my flat.

The money is coming from a house I sold about 5 years ago in the UK, but unfortunately I didn't keep any of the paperwork (I wont make that mistake again). I have nothing to show that I sold the house. I have asked the solicitor I used if they have any paperwork but they are not being very helpful.

I was hoping someone might have an idea what I can do, its very frustrating you cant even spend your own money these days.

Many thanks.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it's been sitting in your bank account for several years then that should be enough evidence for most people that it's your money.

You can get copies of your old bank statements if you haven't kept them.

Your previous solicitor should still have your file and you're entitled to a copy of it.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2019 at 8:01PM
    Options
    As mentioned bank statements should be ok, ask them how many years statements they would like to see.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What about the solicitor you did the sale through?
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Land Registry will presumably have records that show you used to be the owner of the house, and that it was sold five years ago.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Copy of an old bank statement showing the money being deposited into your account should suffice.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    get a completion statement from the solicitor who acted for you
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 May 2019 at 9:32AM
    Options
    JoJo333 wrote: »
    I am buying a flat in Gibraltar where they have very strong anti money laundering laws. They want to know where the money is coming from to buy my flat.

Have you specifically told 'them' that you sold the property 5 years ago, and they've said they want proof?

The standardised AML rules list that solicitors give out will talk about proving that funds came from the sale of property - but they don't necessarily mean property sold many years ago.

Bank statements showing that the money has been sitting in your account for 6, 12 or 24 months may be enough.

Edit to add...

In a vaguely similar situation, my solicitor said to send over whatever proof was available and he'd pass it on to his AML team to see what they say.

But I'm not sure that all solicitors would work like that.
  • JoJo333
    JoJo333 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Many thanks,

I did show them 5 years of bank statements but they want to know where it came from. They seem very over zelous, maybe its because its Gibraltar and they get strange money problems there.

The solicitor is being difficult and trating me like im a bit of a nuisance, do you know if I have the legal right to get copys, I dont mind paying a small fee.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    JoJo333 wrote: »
    I did show them 5 years of bank statements but they want to know where it came from.
    Seems a bit daft - the next question could be "and where did you get the money to buy the house?" ! They need to draw the line somewhere. Don't you have a statement showing the money coming in from your solicitors?
    The solicitor is being difficult and treating me like I'm a bit of a nuisance, do you know if I have the legal right to get copies
    Like I said above, yes. It's your file.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Land Registry would be my first choice, a few pounds and you should be able to get the proof that you where the previous owner and price you sold it for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure